We’re here to help.
In these uncertain times, we stand together with local, State and Federal agencies to help you deal with the consequences of the COVID-19 outbreak with advice and resources.
First and foremost, our staff is here to help! If you have any questions or issues:
- Please e-mail Pierre, our Director of Advising & Education, to schedule a call with our staff. We’d love to hear how you adapt to this situation too, so we can share your ideas with the community.
- Specifically, if you have Workforce-related questions, please email Claire, our Director of Workforce and Hiring, who will be happy to field your questions.
You will find useful links below. We encourage you to visit these pages regularly: they will be updated as the situation develops, with official information and hopefully new relief programs.
A. Internal SFMade resources:
- RE-OPENING: Here are Best Practices to keep social distancing in production. [last updated 12/17]
- EXPOSURE: See the Best Practices guide for details about managing an exposure at your facility.
- RE-HIRING: Here is our re-hiring guidance article. [created 5/20]
- Here are Funding Resources you can apply to now or be on the lookout for, including grants, loans, and important tips. [updated 4/30]
- Here is a PPP Loan Forgiveness Checklist to help those who received a PPP loan maximize forgiveness. [updated 6/15]
- Here are Work Reduction Strategies you should consider, listing both alternatives to layoffs, layoff logistics information and details around unemployment, including the new PUA program making self-employed, independent contractors and more eligible for UI. [updated 4/30]
- Here is a summary of the FFCRA Federal law, in effect since April 1st, 2020 and requiring employers with less than 500 employees to provide emergency paid sick leave and paid family leave.
- Here are Rent Relief Negotiation tactics we recommend you follow, listing steps are arguments to decrease your rent during the crisis. [updated 10/29]
- Here is our running list of SFMade products available for online purchase. If you too have finished goods inventory you can ship or are an essential business, fill out this form and we’ll add you to our listing!
B. Main external resources:
- Here is the main information page from the City’s OEWD, including always-up-to-date local resources & programs for both employers and employees.
- Here is the main information page detailing how manufacturing businesses can operate again.
- Here is the EDD Coronavirus webpage, in particular with info about the State payroll tax assistance program.
- Here is SBA loan resources webpage, kept updated with new programs from the $2 trillion stimulus package.
- Here is the State loan programs webpage, including disaster relief loan programs.
- Here is the form to fill out if you are interested in manufacturing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) or medical devices in response to COVID-19, indicating your interest and your capacity to the California Office of Emergency Services. They will contact you directly if they need more information.
The programs below are all listed on the SF OEWD page mentioned above, but we want to highlight them as they will likely be useful to many of you:
- Here is the EDD Work Sharing Program – allowing employees whose hours and wages have been reduced to receive UI benefits.
- Here are the details of SF’s extended paid sick leave – The City will contribute up to 40 hours of additional paid sick leave time beyond existing policies, but you will have to front payments and will be reimbursed later. You can also find the FAQ here and apply here.
- Here is the SFMTA form to request the conversion of parking spots into temporary loading zones to help you adapt for pickup/delivery services. There is no fee associated with the conversion.
- Here is more info about SF City tax & license fee dues deferrals and here is more info about the Business personal property filing deadline extension.
- The Disaster Relief Loans we can recommend are Kiva, the State’s IBANK, and SBA disaster loans, but check our Funding Resources post for more details.
Important Recommendations & Information
- Manufacturing businesses are now required to implement a new Health and Safety Plan, and to have a social distancing protocol posted on site and shared with all employees present on site. On that page, you will find the manufacturing-specific health and safety plan template and fillable social distancing protocols. Also, don’t forget to read our more detailed article on re-opening best practices.
- Contact your bank and landlord to ask if they can defer or discount your loan payments / rents. (Read our rent relief negotiation tactics article here)
- Ask the EDD for a 60-day extension to file your state payroll reports and deposit state payroll taxes. More info here under “Tax Assistance”.
- Federal income tax extension: Both filings and payments are now postponed until July 15. More info here.
- California tax returns extension: Both filings and payments are postponed until July 15. More info here.
- The City of SF’s latest Public Health Order is here and the main page listing all coronavirus health orders is here.
- The City of SF has deferred Business taxes and license fee dues (more info here) and extended the deadline for businesses to pay their Business Registration and further extended the deferral of Unified License Fees: read the details here. The SF Assessor has also moved the last day to file Form 571-L (Business personal property) from May 7 to June 1: more info here.
- In SF, moratoriums on commercial evictions, also residential evictions and utility shutdowns (PG&E, and water & other power utilities). Read each link for more details.
- Did you have 100 employees or more at the end of February 2020? Did you lay off 10 or more people due to COVID19? A new SF Ordinance about rehiring may apply to you. Read about it here and email our Director of Workforce and Hiring Claire here for more details.
Of course, this page will be updated as new programs and resources become available. We will do all we can to support you through this crisis.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to our staff at any time. Stay strong, be resilient, and keep making it in San Francisco.
-The SFMade team.
Most recent updates:
- Updated 6/15 with links to up to date health orders.
- Updated 5/22 to add useful link #A.2 and edit useful link #A.1 (now fully updated).
- Updated 5/19 to add useful link #B.2 and edit important info #1 to include businesses allowed to operate starting May 18th.
- Updated 5/12 to add highlight #3, and edit highlight #3 and important info #5 (business personal property filing deadline extended to June 1).
- Updated 4/30 to add useful link #A.4.
- Updated 4/29 to add important info #6.
- Updated 4/24 to update important info #7 (extended deadlines), remove info about SF’s 0% interest loans – now closed, and add highlight #6.