Are you looking to hire a new employee this year? Would you like some recruitment help?
Two great programs not only help recruit individuals but reimburse you as well for a portion of their wages: OJT and JobsNow!
OJT Wage Subsidy Program
On the Job Training (OJT) is a program run by the Office of Workforce and Economic Development (OEWD) and Good Will Industries. Interested companies can hire an individual, train them for a specific job position, and get reimbursed for 50% of the wages they provide to that individual, for a maximum total of $6,000 per hire.
You must meet the following criteria before wage reimbursement can be given:
• You must create a training program for the job that you are looking to hire for. The employer must make a commitment to supervising the individual that they hire each step along the training program.
• Employer must carry workers’ compensation insurance.
• You can choose to hire an individual of your choice. It does not have to be from a pool of pre-selected candidates. That being said, the individual you choose to hire must not already be an employee of the company.
• After the training program is complete, the employer is expected to retain the new hire. Upon accepting the individual to the training program, that individual is an employee of the company and receives the same benefits as all other employees of the company would.
• OJT contracts require that the wages paid to trainees be at least the prevailing entry wage for the specific occupation in this local labor market. There is no maximum allowed wage, though the employer will only be reimbursed for 50% of the wages as stipulated in the OJT Agreement, not to exceed $6,000.
If you are interested in applying to the OJT Program or would like more information please email SFMade’s Workforce and Hiring Manager Claire at [email protected].
JobsNow! Wage Subsidy Program
JobsNow! is a wage reimbursement program similar to OJT. A major difference is that you do not have to train the individual you hire. Like OJT, JobsNow! offers bay area businesses a wage reimbursement for all new individuals hired through the JobsNow! Program.
Here are the program’s main criteria:
• Unlike OJT, you do not get to choose your own candidate. Once employers are approved, the JobsNow! Business Account Representatives will refer qualified applicants to be interviewed based on the employer’s qualification. Employers then make all hiring decisions. After the new employees start work (approximately 30 days), employers submit monthly invoices to the Human Services Agency for wage cost reimbursement.
• The employer is expected to retain the employee after the reimbursement period is over.
• After you are approved as an employer, you must attend weekly hiring events run by the JobsNow! staff until your position is full. These hiring events take place every Thursday. During this hiring event you will interview from a pool of pre-selected candidates. Offers can be made on the spot to potential employees, or you can follow up with the individual and schedule a second interview over the phone or in person.
• Hourly wages of $16.50 and greater with 32 work hours per week:
– 100% of your wages are covered for the 1st month.
– 75% of your wages are covered for the 2nd month.
– $1,000 reimbursement for each of the 3rd, 4th and 5th months.
• Hourly wages of $15.00 to $16.49 with 32 work hours per week: $5,000 worth of wage reimbursement ($1,000 a month) for the first 5 months of the new hire.
If interested in applying to the JobsNow Program, please contact SFMade’s Workforce and Hiring Manager Claire at [email protected].