RETAIL PEOPLE OPERATIONS MANAGER
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
The Ritual Retail People Operations Manager is the inspiring and experienced leader, an expert relationship builder, and skilled at building and developing well-functioning teams, who ensures our business is always thriving and growing.
We are looking for that special someone who leads with trust and appropriate transparency and who cares about the employee experience. This person is passionate about helping us grow our business through improved strategies, systems, and cultural development.
This person is deeply interested in self-growth – asking for constructive feedback and applying it; a natural at providing direct, helpful, and inspiring guidance and feedback to all. We are looking for a leader with a direct, clear, and compassionate communication style who is great at being objective, and is a natural at connecting with people.
As our Retail People Operations Manager, you do not need to know our exact systems before you start, but you need to be emotionally intelligent, able to jump in and develop solutions where needed, and excited to collaborate on creating new systems. People who are not flexible, not compassionate, not open to feedback, nor humble need not apply. You are meant for this role if you are collaborative, a strong communicator, and organized with a strong interest in and appreciation for coffee and people.
ABOUT US: RITUAL IS CHANGING THE WAY PEOPLE KNOW COFFEE.
In 2005, when corporate coffee dominated American culture, Ritual unknowingly started a fun and exciting revolution that would ultimately help launch the new coffee movement.
We buy 90+% of our beans from producer partners that we have relationships with, setting the highest standard in the industry. This makes sure we get our hands on the best beans in the world, but more importantly, makes sure our farmers maintain the quality of life they deserve.
Now a bona fide San Francisco original, we’ve also earned our iconic status as one of the best coffee roasting companies in the world. The mission of Ritual Coffee is simple: to make people happy by giving them the best coffee experience they’ve ever had. Ritual roasts in SoMa, and has cafes in San Francisco and Napa.
DIVERSITY AT RITUAL: COFFEE IS FOR EVERYONE
We are passionate about creating safe, welcoming, and inclusive spaces on both sides of the counter and behind the scenes at Ritual. We best achieve our mission (making people happy by giving them the best coffee experience they’ve ever had) when our staff reflects the broad diversity of people who love coffee. Our commitment to inclusion across race, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, physical ability, experience, and perspective is part of what makes Ritual the innovative place that it is.
1. BE A LEADER ON THE RITUAL LEADERSHIP TEAM AND MANAGING CULTURE
- Contribute to the overall culture of working to create a safe, productive, and fulfilling work environment for all, and to business growth, uplifting diversity and inclusion.
- Use our Culture Guide as a tool for self-reflection and an ongoing commitment to self-growth, the growth in others, and the growth of the company.
- As a member of the leadership team and by facilitating 1:1 supervision, giving and receiving peer feedback, and role modeling, help us to continuously tend to our culture and create a safer, more productive, and more fulfilling work environment.
- Work with the leadership team to evolve and implement standards for Ritual’s culture, values, quality and customer service.
- Be an active contributor, participant, and collaborator to help achieve Ritual’s day-to-day and long term goals, both individually and on our leadership team.
- Contribute to the overall culture and business growth by participating in or leading improvement committees and projects when needed.
2. OVERSEEING THE DAY-TO-DAY
- Lead and develop the Retail Team: Supervise 4 Cafe Managers and oversee supervision of all retail employees
- Anticipating hiring needs for retail cafes and catering
- Overseeing all retail hiring processes
- Managing all job description postings
- Filtering resumes
- Creating organized files for candidates & making sure they get transferred when we hire
- Training cafe managers in hiring, leading the process until they are trained in and skilled at our process
- Onboarding & Orientation:
- Collaborating in creating an orientation process to welcome new hires into the company & culture
- Onboarding managers and overseeing onboarding for all other new hires
- Make sure that new hires get onboarded into communication platforms, time & attendance, etc.
- Make sure that new hires get onboarded in terms of all technical and culture skills
- Ongoing training and mentorship for managers both formal and informal as needed, e.g. physical safety; psychological safety; building and developing diverse, conflict mediation, high-functioning teams who are aligned with Ritual’s culture, etc.
- Lead ongoing training such as DEI initiatives, de-escalation, harassment prevention etc.
- Managing and Supervision:
- Supervise four Cafe Managers and help support their growth and development.
- Observe, prepare for, and give regular and formal meaningful, supportive, direct, and compassionate feedback, both positive and constructive. Also give timely informal feedback.
- Overseeing supervision of 30-50 Ritual retail employees within cafes.
- Conduct and oversee bi-annual reviews to provide reflection, appreciation, and tools for employees to grow during their time at Ritual.
- Supporting cafe managers on staffing plans so that cafes and catering run smoothly – ie working out a plan for having floater employees.
- Be in touch with staff morale – address issues that arise, facilitate mediation or oversee conflict mediation between employees when necessary.
- Exit interviews & off-boarding:
- Helping coordinate people leaving the company to get last paycheck, return Ritual property, give feedback, so that people have a positive employee experience up through the very end of employment.
3. HIGH-LEVEL SUPPORT OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Baristas and other front line employees are well-informed about and engage with Ritual’s mission, vision, goals, policies, and projects.
- Baristas’ and other front line employees’ needs and perspectives are understood and communicated to leadership.
- Collaborate with Retail Operations Manager to maintain and update systems, processes, and best practices around recruiting, hiring, onboarding, developing, rewarding, and celebrating our teams of employees
- Work with Owner and other leadership team members to oversee our labor practices, e.g. sustainable wages that support equity, wage transparency, performance review structure, employees perks to attract and retain talented coffee professionals.
- Create, implement and oversee employee development plans to build diversity in leadership positions and to enhance employee understanding of issues around inclusion
- Monitor, innovate, and solve for retention.
- Work with Retail Operations Manager to handle emergent issues at the cafes and in catering as needed.
- Lead HR investigations and conflict mediations.
- 2-5 years experience managing people, including managing individuals and a team preferably in the food service industry.
- Proven experience building healthy and inclusive diverse teams.
- Skilled at and experience with soliciting and implementing feedback to improve performance
- An approachable people person with a high level of emotional intelligence, patience, compassion, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and teaching skills, able to engage and inspire professional growth.
- Love of coffee!
- Proficiency with Google Drive, spreadsheets and general comfort with the use of technology.
- Availability: on-call for emergencies, ability to be on site at cafes when urgently needed
- Must be authorized to work in the United States (Required)
The physical requirements listed are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular and consistent attendance and the ability to sit and work with hands and arms for at least eight (8) hours per day and five (5) days per week.
- Physical ability to stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, walk, crawl, push and pull items weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Stand and move throughout the cafe/ office.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentage.
- Have consistent and reliable onsite attendance at the cafe/ office.
- Proficient interpersonal relations and communicative skills in English;
- Interpret and follow a variety of instructions and procedures furnished in English – written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Write routine reports and correspondence.
- Meet daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly and other deadlines consistently.
- Work under pressure with changing, ambiguous priorities.
- Communicate effectively and promptly to clients, vendors or employees of the organization.
- High level of manual dexterity to adeptly type and use computer equipment.
- Auditory and visual skills – Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to work overtime occasionally at the last minute.
- Occasional Travel may be required.
- Stand stationary in cafe throughout the shift for periods of time (up to 8 hours per day, 5 days per week);
- Continuous physical activity including walking, standing, twisting, sitting, bending, lifting, reaching, kneeling, stooping, crawling, wiping, climbing, pushing and pulling items weighing 50 pounds for distances of up to 20 ft.;
- Ability to perform moderately strenuous physical work and withstand temperatures of 0 degrees Fahrenheit or less and 100 degrees Fahrenheit or more;
- Be able to adeptly use restaurant equipment;
- Perform basic math and fractions to complete recipes;
- Understand and respond to staff and customer requests in a loud environment.
COMPENSATION + BENEFITS
Ritual Coffee strongly believes in investing in our people and our culture. We offer great benefits including subsidized medical insurance, dental insurance, and commuter benefits. All employees are eligible for paid time off, paid sick days, holidays (paid at time and a half) and a matching 401k plan. Starting salary is $67,000-$70,000.
CLASSIFICATION & SUPERVISION
- This is a regular, full-time, salaried, exempt position
- The Founder/CEO will provide general supervision to the Retail People Operations Manager
Please upload your resume and a cover letter explaining why you’d be a great Retail People Operations Manager through our hiring portal at https://ritualcoffee.easyapply.co/
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We thank you for your interest in a career opportunity with Ritual Coffee. Due to high volume, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.