unspun is a robotics and digital apparel company based in Emeryville, CA. Our mission is to reduce global carbon emissions by 1% through automated, localized, and intentional manufacturing.
Recently included in Time’s Best Inventions & Fast Company’s World Changing Ideas, unspun aims to rapidly transition the trillion-dollar apparel world into one that is more intentional, inclusive, and efficient by focusing on the overlap between sustainability and profitability— on-demand (and automated) manufacturing.
What We’re Building
We’ve developed a proprietary and patented technology at the crossroads of 3D printing and automated textile manufacturing called 3d weaving. By skipping the flat 2D fabric stage, we can additively build custom apparel products from the ground up— straight from yarns to seamless final product. If climate tech, robotics, fashion, and massive build projects get you excited, we’d love to talk!
We are looking for a passionate Senior Project Manager to join our team. As a critical member of our (Physical) Product team, and by extension also Operations, Commercialization, and Hardware teams, your primary responsibility will be to manage production and scaling processes in order to meet signed commercial contract obligations as they scale into production and beyond. We’re looking for someone with experience in project management and interest in apparel production, who is excited about the risks and rewards of joining a Series A-funded startup.
- You enjoy working on fast-paced and early-stage R&D and bringing high quality products to market.
- You enjoy wearing multiple hats and switching between different contexts.
- You are capable of working independently and in a team while being flexible, self-motivated, and curious.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and can help manage a complex program with competing needs from multiple sides of the organization.
- You are energized by working on big problems within an evolving R&D environment.
- You are strategic – determined but adaptable.
- You are organized – able to frame things in ways that are efficient and sensible.
- You are a clear communicator – great at inspiring others.
- You enjoy daily challenges and relish the successes.
- You are willing to think creatively and get your hands dirty to help the team meet aggressive timelines.
What You’ll Do
The core responsibility of this position is to manage unspun’s commercial projects – namely managing the internal execution of signed contracts. You will work across multiple teams, with emphasis on the product and operations teams, to realize the world’s first 3D woven products on the market.
- Develop detailed project plans, assign tasks and responsibilities to specific team members, and hold them accountable
- Work with internal and external groups to operate project plans, including meeting deadlines, identifying risks, and problem-solving
- Outline project scope ahead of time
- Monitor progress and deliverables, and consequently manage expectations
- Manage project budgets as relevant
- Work effectively across Product, Operations, Commercialization, and Hardware teams to keep all parties informed and projects on track
- Create and maintain documentation for internal communication and record keeping where needed
- Host brand partners at unspun headquarters for project sprints and working sessions
- Assist the commercialization team in defining project scopes with potential brand partners
- Develop and manage product requirements
- Own on-time delivery of outputs to meet contractual deadlines & identify blockers and solutions before they become significant issues
- Ideal Qualities
- 5+ years of experience in Project Management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Open to working on-site in Emeryville, CA
- Strategic thinker & organizer
- Effective delegator & clear communicator
- Logical and detailed-oriented thinker — ability to distill complex and ambiguous projects, and problems into their most basic building blocks and structure them for success
- Agile do-er and fast adapter — ability to quickly pivot and adapt under pressure
- Ability to manage conflicting project and team priorities and to resolve disagreements in an efficient and professional manner
- Some experience with production, operations, and/or development
- Energized by new ideas in apparel and product manufacturing. Comfortable in a fast-paced early-stage startup environment.
- Bonus Points
- Knowledge of the apparel industry
- Familiarity with industrial-scale looms
- Experience working on fast-paced early-stage R&D projects
- Manufacturing and factory experience
- Familiarity with hardware engineering design and implementation practices
- We don’t expect you to have all of the listed qualities and are looking for someone who hopes to learn those areas where they don’t have as much experience. So if you don’t meet all of the requirements listed above but can make up for it with a voracious passion for learning how to do so, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We won’t roll our eyes if your socks don’t match. We get it. But then, if you spend those extra few minutes in the morning matching your socks and shirt, we get that too. Our workspaces are sometimes spotless and sometimes chaotic, and we celebrate messy exploration. We work through complex problems but generate simple and elegant solutions. We strive to look at things differently, and never do anything solely because “that’s the way it’s always been done.”
We’re a team of designers and engineers, industry-veterans and serial entrepreneurs, artists and developers. We’re aspiring chess masters and climbers, bakers and photographers. Originally spun out of Stanford and the University of Colorado, we now call Emeryville home, with strong ties to Hong Kong. We are looking for teammates who share our desire to work on ambitious problems and leave the world better than we found it.
unspun is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to being a diverse team that reflects a broad range of background, thought, and experience. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, status as protected veteran, or any other legally protected characteristics. Women, minorities, and people from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Compensation: $100,000 – $120,000 per year, plus 0.02% – 0.03% equity, depending on experience
- Self-regulated vacation policy
- Comprehensive (gold & platinum) health/dental/vision insurance (or equivalent cash bonus if already insured)
- Company-sponsored 401k
- Monthly gym membership or related online education grant of up to $150/month
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Incentive stock options
Please attach your resume and a motivation letter detailing your relevant experience for the position.