Dandelion Chocolate Website
Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate factory in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origins as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment the beans we buy. We’re always on the search for good cocoa beans, and now we’re looking for an Apprentice Chocolate Maker to help our production team scale up and craft our single origin chocolate.
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Food and Beverage,
- Production: Learning and performing all steps of chocolate production: sorting cocoa beans, roasting, winnowing, starting batches, refining and conching, tempering, and foiling bars.
- R&D and Quality: Tasting and evaluating chocolate bars for flavor and quality. You can tell if the flavor or consistency of a batch is slightly off.
- Maintenance: Cleaning and maintaining our production facility, including machines.
- Team: Work with the team to hit our daily production goals. You have a positive attitude even when things don’t always go as planned and your team wants to work with you again and again.
-Other tasks as necessary
- Availability: Available from 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday. There is a potential for this role to switch to a Tuesday-Saturday schedule eventually.
- Positive outlook: Even among shifting priorities or broken machines, you are able to keep a healthy perspective and remain positive.
- Kitchen know-how: Prior experience working in a commercial kitchen or production facility preferred, especially with a team. Comfortable with repetitive tasks.
- Physical aptitude: This position requires that you be moving on your feet for most of the day and to occasionally lift objects up to 50-pounds.
You should love chocolate as much as we do, but you don’t have to know everything -- we’ll teach you everything we know. After adequate shadowing and hands-on training, you will join our production team in their daily routine—roasting, cracking, sorting and winnowing cocoa beans, then tempering and molding chocolate bars. This is a physical job, but it’s a labor of love. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team working at our new factory on 16th Street where we are scaling up our processes and production, while striving to make some of the world’s best chocolate.
You must be comfortable working with machinery and willing to go with the flow as processes change and develop and to work independently as well as with our team of chocolate makers. We prefer that candidates have worked in the food and beverage/culinary industry, as it helps with the pace and demands of this position. We’re looking for someone who is eager to learn, has a positive outlook, and likes to get their hands dirty.
starts at $20/hour with an increase after training
The benefits and perks continue beyond a robust chocolate education. Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in our people and culture. All team members receive heavily subsidized medical, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. All team members receive paid vacation time, holiday pay, and paid sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, FSAs, chocolate tasting opportunities, and a range of opportunities to grow and develop within the company.
Available from 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday. There is a potential for this role to switch to a Tuesday-Saturday schedule eventually.
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
Dandelion is growing and we are invested in employees who take ownership over their role and are interested in contributing in a bigger way with us. If you are interested, we’d like to see your resume and a cover letter that includes a short description of your favorite food experience or influence. Keep in mind that we value passion, attitude, and hard work, so tell us what inspires you to want to join our production team. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.