Bi-Rite Catering & Commissary (India Basin)
Bi-Rite Catering & Commissary (India Basin) Website
Create Community Through Food With Us!
The Bi-Rite Family of Businesses includes two Markets (on 18th Street and Divisadero), the Creamery, our Catering and Commissary Kitchen, as well as the Bi-Rite Farm in Sonoma, CA. We believe that food does more than nourish, it brings people together. As a Certified B Corporation, we believe it’s our responsibility to build meaningful relationships with each part of our extended family: the food we make and sell connects our staff, our guests, our producers, and the environment. Named one of Forbes 25 Best Companies in America, our team is comprised of entrepreneurs, dreamers, doers, artists, activists, and, of course, food lovers! If you’re a people person with a passion for heartfelt service, we invite you to Create Community Through Food with us!
Equal Opportunity Employer. Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, women, gender non-conforming people, persons with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ people, veterans, and adults of all ages are strongly encouraged to apply. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Food and Beverage,
We have an immediate opening for an Assistant Culinary Recipe Developer. The Assistant Culinary Recipe Developer is responsible for assisting in creating an inspiring experience for our guests. They give outstanding service by meeting and exceeding our guests’ expectations and providing excellent internal service to the culinary teams. Their responsibilities include assisting in the smooth and seamless operations of the business, reaching company financial goals, upholding product quality and consistency standards, maintaining equipment and facilities, and safely handling all of our products and equipment. They are part of a cohesive Bi-Rite team that supports the Bi-Rite Missions, 2024 Vision, and Community Values.
- Assists in the development of new and exciting house-made products across all food-service categories for the Bi-Rite Family of Businesses.
- Collaborates on the strategic planning for house-made product lines, tests new concepts, writes and costs out recipes, and eventually produces
sales-ready products for the retail locations. Produces cost-effective products that drive sales and exceed guest satisfaction (80/20 testing vs
concepting.) Testing includes accurate written recipes, with accurate yields and costs, and shelf life determination to ensure quality at retail.
- Responsible for maintaining accuracy of all recipes along with up-to-date food and packaging costs. Maintains accuracy of Chef-Tec database,
supporting files on server, training documents, and SOPs on server.
- Works directly with commissary and retail kitchens to transition new products into production through staff trainings, tastings, and written/verbal
communication at all Bi-Rite kitchens. Works alongside cooks, sous-chefs and chefs to transition developed product into operationally executable
and sale-able items. Assists in ensuring seamless roll-outs of new products to the retail locations, ensuring Bi-Rite standards are met.
- Assists with the project management of launching new products from recipe development to shelf – including creation of launch timetables, marketing
photo shoots, label design, product testing and training with service and sales staff.
- Assists in analyzing sales and margin data regularly to inform the product development process.
- Works with the Category Management team and Purchasing Manager for sourcing ingredients and packaging for house-made products.
- Researches and maintains awareness with consumer trends, including healthful eating, cultural, plant forward.
- Committed to Bi-Rite's mission to Create Community Through Food and values of Lead with Love, Pursue with Passion and Act with Integrity.
- Genuinely finds interest in learning about and sharing Good Food.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver great internal and external service: identifying what others need, getting it for them and taking the extra steps to
ensure they have a positive experience.
- Trend awareness.
- Able to work independently; possesses effective prioritization and time management skills.
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Demonstrated ability to follow directions and procedures, and accurately completes assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Approaches new situations and people with openness, curiosity and humility; treats others with dignity and respect.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with shifting priorities.
- Energetic, works with a sense of urgency and adapts to the needs of the business.
- Embraces change and proposes more effective ways of working.
- Ability to fulfill the physical requirements of the role with or without accommodations.
- Ability to communicate in a concise, clear and productive manner; seeks to understand others through active listening.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with others to complete tasks and achieve shared goals.
- Fluency in the English language, spoken and written. Bi-lingual in Spanish and English a plus.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays, as needed.
- Committed to punctuality and exemplary attendance.
- Culinary degree or equivalent experience in a commercial kitchen; well-versed in many cuisines with a well-developed palate
- 2+ years of cooking experience, ideally in a variety of food businesses (retail, restaurants, catering)
- 2+ years menu development, recipe writing, costing, scaling experience; solid understanding of yields
- Highly organized and detail oriented; process and operations driven
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal; loves teaching and can do it in a way others can grasp
- Solid math skills for recipe costing, scaling, budgeting, and forecasting
- Proficient in Chef-Tec, MS Outlook, Word, Excel, ability to learn new technologies
- Ability to work nights and weekends when needed
- ServSafe Certification, California Food Handler Card required within 30 days post-hire.
- Continuous standing and carrying between 11-50+ pounds.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
Competitive pay based on experience.
Our unique staff culture and generous benefits package sets us apart from other food businesses. We offer a 25% (alcohol 20%) discount on purchases throughout the businesses, a meal provided with your shift, medical, dental and vision plan after 60 days of employment, a 401K retirement plan with employer match, access to 18 Reason classes and the opportunity for career advancement. And of course, a team of mindful, smart and happy people to work with every day!
Part-time with the potential for Full-time: 20-24 hours per week. Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
We’d love for you to take the time to write a few sentences telling what you know and love about the Bi-Rite Family of Businesses, your interest in working at Bi-Rite, and what you hope to learn by working with us.