Ritual Coffee Website
ABOUT US: RITUAL IS CHANGING THE WAY PEOPLE KNOW COFFEE.
In 2005, when corporate coffee dominated American culture, Ritual unknowingly started a fun and exciting revolution that would ultimately help launch the new coffee movement.
We buy 90+% of our beans from producer partners that we have relationships with, setting the highest standard
in the industry. This makes sure we get our hands on the best beans in the world, but more importantly, makes sure our farmers maintain the quality of life they deserve.
Now a bona fide San Francisco original, we’ve also earned our iconic status as one of the best coffee roasting companies in the world. The mission of Ritual Coffee is simple: to make people happy by giving them the best coffee experience they’ve ever had. Ritual roasts in SoMa, and has cafes in San Francisco and Napa.
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Food and Beverage,
This is a regular, full time, hourly, non-exempt position 30-40 hours per week
Assistant Managers are expected to work at least one weekend day
Assistant Managers are supervised by the Cafe Manager
- Work alongside Cafe Manager to lead a team of approximately 10-15 retail employees, including Shift Leads, a Coffee Educator and Baristas.
- Contribute to the overall culture and business growth using our Culture Guide as a tool for self-reflection and an ongoing commitment to self-growth, the growth in others, and the growth of the company.
- Contribute to the overall culture and business growth by participating in or leading improvement committees and projects when needed.
- Oversee, implement, and participate in our formal culture management structure and processes, which emphasize individual supervision and support.
- Cultivate a supportive and inclusive work environment for all employees, and foster employee satisfaction and retention.
- Conduct bi-weekly check-ins with supervisees cultivating an on-going mentorship and productive feedback loop.
- Ensure information is communicated effectively throughout cafe and across departments.
- Be a great leader in your cafe and an ambassador for Ritual in the community.
- Conduct timely formal reviews with constructive feedback, both positive and negative, that provide tools for baristas to grow during their time at Ritual.
- Retail café customers are consistently served delicious coffee to our quality and service standards.
- Demonstrate Ritual’s standards for customer service, ensure that all cafe employees are supported to provide that.
- Work with the Head of Training and Coffee Educator to ensure that standards are upheld in cafes and that the caliber of training is sufficient for the cafe to excel.
- Develop café staff to be knowledgeable and provide great customer service.
- Demonstrates model barista behavior adhering to all Ritual standards, exemplifies excellent customer service and addresses customer service issues when they arise.
- Teaches staff proper care of cafe dishes and equipment. Reports any necessary replacements to the Cafe Manager.
- Our cafe is profitable and contributes to the sustainability of Ritual and our communities – both locally and globally.
- See that the cafe operations (including coffee/goods/food ordering, billing, banking) are efficient so that the cafe can be profitable
- Oversee cashier functions, including ensuring that items are rung up accurately, that tax is charged appropriately, and cash handling, including monitoring over/short and deposits.
- Set ambitious but achievable goals for each quarter that fit into the outcomes for your position, are in line with overall goals for your cafe, and for Ritual.
- Begin to understand how to manage labor, cost of goods, and controllable expenses to contribute to a sustainable bottom line, while making decisions in keeping with Ritual’s values.
- Plans administrative time effectively to complete all weekly tasks.
- Ritual cafe is clean, beautiful and safe, providing both employees and customers with a fun, inclusive environment.
- Contribute ideas to keeping the café fun and fresh.
- Support teams, systems, and processes to ensure the cafe always runs smoothly in spite of inevitable surprises.
- Responds immediately to potentially hazardous situations and communicates them to the Cafe Manager.
- Facilitates repairs with vendors and communicates repairs to Cafe Manager and records repairs in log sheet.
- Provides for an inclusive work environment for customers and staff avoiding misgendering, misidentifying or having exclusionary or inappropriate conversations, and correcting these behaviors in others.
- 1-2 years experience in food service
- An approachable people-person with a high level of emotional intelligence, patience, compassion and problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication and teaching skills, able to engage and inspire professional growth.
- Infectious love of coffee
- Proficiency with Google Drive, spreadsheets and general comfort with use of technology
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
The physical requirements listed are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular and consistent attendance and the ability to sit and work with hands and arms for at least eight (8) hours per day and five (5) days per week.
- Physical ability to stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, walk, crawl, push and pull items weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Stand and move throughout the cafe/ office.
- Must be able to interact with customers for at least eight (8) hours per day and five (5) days per week.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentage.
- Have consistent and reliable onsite attendance at the cafe/ office.
- Proficient interpersonal relations and communicative skills in English;
- Interpret and follow a variety of instructions and procedures furnished in English - written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Meet daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly and other deadlines consistently.
- Work under pressure with changing, ambiguous priorities.
- Communicate effectively and promptly to clients, vendors and employees of the organization.
- High level of manual dexterity to adeptly type and use computer equipment.
- Auditory and visual skills – Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to work overtime occasionally at the last minute.
- Occasional Travel may be required.
- Stand stationary in cafe throughout the shift for periods of time (up to 8 hours per day, 5 days per week);
- Continuous physical activity including walking, standing, twisting, sitting, bending, lifting, reaching, kneeling, stooping, crawling, wiping, climbing, pushing and pulling items weighing 50 pounds for distances of up to 20 ft.;
- Ability to perform moderately strenuous physical work and withstand temperatures of 0 degrees Fahrenheit or less and 100 degrees Fahrenheit or more;
- Be able to adeptly use restaurant equipment;
- Perform basic math and fractions to complete recipes;
- Understand and respond to staff and customer requests in a loud environment
- Availability: on-call for emergencies, ability to be on site at cafes when urgently needed
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. (Required)
Compensation will be discussed during the interview process.
Ritual Coffee strongly believes in investing in our people and our culture. We offer great benefits including subsidized medical insurance, dental insurance, and commuter benefits. All employees are eligible for paid time off, paid sick days, holidays (paid at time and a half) and a matching 401k plan.
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
Please upload your resume and a cover letter explaining why you’d be a great Assistant Manager. We are passionate about creating safe, welcoming, and inclusive spaces on both sides of the counter and behind the scenes at Ritual. We best achieve our mission (making people happy by giving them the best coffee experience they’ve ever had) when our staff reflects the broad diversity of people who love coffee. Our commitment to inclusion across race, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, physical ability, experience, and perspective is part of what makes Ritual the innovative place that it is.