Bi-Rite Creamery Website
Create Community Through Food With Us!
The Bi-Rite Family of Businesses includes two Markets (on 18th Street and Divisadero), the Creamery, our Catering and Commissary Kitchen, as well as the Bi-Rite Farm in Sonoma, CA. We believe that food does more than nourish, it brings people together. As a Certified B Corporation, we believe it’s our responsibility to build meaningful relationships with each part of our extended family: the food we make and sell connects our staff, our guests, our producers, and the environment. Named one of Forbes 25 Best Companies in America, our team is comprised of entrepreneurs, dreamers, doers, artists, activists, and, of course, food lovers! If you’re a people person with a passion for heartfelt service, we invite you to Create Community Through Food with us!
Equal Opportunity Employer. Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, women, gender non-conforming people, persons with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ people, veterans, and adults of all ages are strongly encouraged to apply. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Food and Beverage,
We have an immediate opening for an Assistant Store Manager of the Creamery is responsible for creating an inspiring experience for our guests and staff. They provide outstanding service by exceeding our guests’ expectations and providing excellent internal service to the team. Their responsibilities include assisting the General Manager in managing the smooth and seamless operations of the business, achieving store goals, upholding product quality and consistency standards, controlling inventory levels and mitigating waste, maintaining equipment and facilities, and safely handling all of our products and equipment. They are part of a cohesive Bi-Rite leadership team that supports the Bi-Rite Missions, 2024 Vision, and Community Values.
- Assists the General Manager with the overall success of the business.
- Assists with the day-to-day running and managing of the business, achievement of long-term store goals, and the implementation of Bi-Rite
campaigns and initiatives.
- Assists with hiring, training, managing and developing staff (enter quantity).
- Assists with developing, documenting, and training staff on standard operating procedures and effective sales skills. Coordinates staff training
schedule and keeps department training documents up to date.
- Assists with for staff engagement, growth and retention. Monitors staff performance through motivating, coaching and performance improvement
plans. Participates in reviewing overall staff performance with quarterly feedback conversations (QFCs.)
- Collaborates with the General Manager and BRFOB Category Sales Manager to ensure product quality, merchandising, signage, training and financial
performance standards are met.
- Responsible for maintaining organized and accurate inventory levels and completing period end physical counts.
Internal + External Service
- Uses the Bi-Rite Service Mission to guide every interaction, building long-lasting, trusting relationships with our guests.
- Provides department product knowledge with friendly, personalized and attentive service; sharing our love for Good Food.
- Delivers great service, supporting staff in completing their responsibilities and encouraging positive work relationships.
- Responsible for creating an environment that delights all five senses by maintaining: bountiful displays, tidy floors and shelves, appealing sights and
sounds, appetizing smells and a physically inviting space.
- Uses and promotes internal processes that deliver great service to our guests.
- Promotes Bi-Rite’s Certified Delicious guarantee: the food we sell is delicious and satisfying to our guests.
People + Culture
- Demonstrates the Bi-Rite Community Values: Lead with Love, Pursue with Passion, and Act with Integrity.
- Builds meaningful relationships with the people we work with, the people who produce our food, and the people we feed.
- Supports a diverse, inclusive and fair workplace by acting with humility and openness; treats others with dignity and respect.
- Responsible for coordinating staff attendance to all Bi-Rite trainings; responsible for using the training to reinforce Bi-Rites’ expectations, culture and
- Follows all Bi-Rite policies and procedures in the Staff Guide and as established in their business and department.
- Assists with reviewing and approving timecards and time off requests and following all People + Culture protocols for staff processes.
- Responsible for the financial health of the department by increasing sales and productivity, reducing costs and waste, and contributing to accurate
accounting and record keeping.
- Assists with the achievement of financial goals through creation and display of beautiful and delicious products, excellent sales skills, proper receiving
and product handling, maintaining accurate inventory levels, and mitigating out of stocks and product and supply waste. Ensures invoices are handled
according to Bi-Rite’s accounting standards.
- Follows established procedures for accurate cash and product handling including, but not limited to, the sale of alcoholic beverages, taxation, -
calculating retail pricing, using proper tares, discounts, returns, and write-offs.
- Celebrates the great products we carry by remaining up to date on current campaigns and services, then sharing samples and vendor stories with our
community so they understand what makes each item special.
- Responsible for ensuring product quality; staff are responsible for identifying and addressing product issues immediately.
- Regularly tastes product to ensure quality, while developing a palate to discern the components of Good Food.
- Prepares menu items to Bi-Rite standards ensuring product quality, consistency of portion size, and flavors are met.
- Responsible for leading shifts, ensures appropriate staffing, breaks, and avoids unnecessary overtime. Responsible for the accuracy of posted staff
- Works directly with staff to keep the business running smoothly; working towards seamless and improved operations.
- Anticipates and completes operations efficiently, using established procedures and adjusting to the flow of the business.
- Participates and supports the development and implementation of Bi-Rite campaigns and initiatives.
- Receives and utilizes products and supplies to Bi-Rite standards; keeping sales floor and backstock areas rotated, clean and organized.
- Respects our environment, values our food and supplies as finite resources, and helps achieve our Zero Waste goals.
- Assists with any department when asked or requested by store leadership.
- Responsible for a safe and clean work environment at all times, providing staff safety training, while preventing accidents, injuries, and illnesses.
- Oversees the completion of daily and regular preventative maintenance and cleaning of the store.
- Responsible for immediate and accurate reporting of all potential hazards, injury, accident and/or food borne illness incidents.
- Assists with periodic safety inspections and safety audits of the store and department, correcting issues promptly.
- Adheres to all Department of Public Health and OSHA standards.
Community Values + Mission Alignment
• Committed to Bi-Rite's mission to Create Community Through Food and values of Lead with Love, Pursue with Passion and Act with Integrity.
• Genuinely finds interest in learning about and sharing Good Food.
• Demonstrated ability to deliver great internal and external service: identifying what others need, getting it for them and taking the extra steps to ensure they have a positive experience.
Time Management + Prioritization
• Able to work independently; possesses effective prioritization and time management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to follow directions and procedures, and accurately completes assigned tasks in a timely manner.
Humility + Empathy
• Approaches new situations and people with openness, curiosity and humility; treats others with dignity and respect.
Adaptable + Flexible
• Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with shifting priorities.
• Energetic, works with a sense of urgency and adapts to the needs of the business.
• Embraces change and proposes more effective ways of working.
• Ability to fulfill the physical requirements of the role with or without accommodations.
Communication + Collaboration
• Ability to communicate in a concise, clear and productive manner; seeks to understand others through active listening.
• Ability to effectively collaborate with others to complete tasks and achieve shared goals.
• Fluency in English language, spoken and written.
Reliable, Consistent + Dependable
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays, as needed.
• Committed to punctuality and exemplary attendance.
- College degree or equivalent experience
- 1+ years’ experience people management with proven ability to deliver training and coaching effectively
- Service leader, strong knowledge of retail guest service
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong public speaking skills
- Knowledge of food procurement and inventory management
- Strong presentation and meeting preparation skills
- Solid math skills for basic budgeting, and inventory control
- Proficient in MS Outlook, Word, Excel, ability to learn new technologies
- Ability to work nights and weekends when needed
- Serve Safe Certification
Competitive pay based on experience.
Our unique staff culture and generous benefits package sets us apart from other food businesses. We offer a 25% (alcohol 20%) discount on purchases throughout the businesses, a meal provided with your shift, medical, dental and vision plan after 60 days of employment, a 401K retirement plan with employer match, access to 18 Reason classes and the opportunity for career advancement. And of course, a team of mindful, smart and happy people to work with every day!
Full-time. Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
We’d love for you to take the time to write a few sentences telling what you know and love about the Bi-Rite Family of Businesses, your interest in working at Bi-Rite, and what you hope to learn by working with us.