Dandelion Chocolate Website
Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate factory in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origins as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment cacao beans. We’re seeking a Barista and Café Associate who will celebrate the care and thoughtfulness that goes into our chocolate through thoughtful service of our café drinks and pastries.
About the Role
As a Barista, you’ll first learn everything about chocolate from where it’s grown, how it’s processed, and how to make your own batch of chocolate. You’ll become an expert taster of all of our drinks, treats, and bars and know how the chocolate origin impacts the flavor. While we’re chocolate makers, we are also passionate and excited about coffee. We train with Ritual Coffee Roasters and are one of the few cafés to use the Ground Control Cyclops machine. This role starts at $17.50/hour plus tips.
A typical café day might start with reading the daily café report and knowing to expect the dishwasher repair person in the morning and a chocolate expert from Hawaii around noon. When the line is out the door, your focus turns to ensuring each person receives a thoughtful, exquisite experience. During welcomed breaks from the rushes, you might restock the retail shelves, sweep the parklet, or adjust the espresso machine to ensure that shots are pouring consistently.
Our ideal candidate is a mature, team-oriented barista who is excited to learn and share their coffee passion. You develop authentic rapport with guests, can work independently as necessary, and you have the savvy know-how to navigate unexpected situations with confidence. Whether it’s a regular asking for you to hand deliver their hot chocolate to their car so they don’t wake their sleeping baby or a camera crew showing up to film in the café, you maintain your cool and jump in to help when needed. You aren’t intimidated by a long line of excited people and you love making spaces more efficient in downtime so that you’re ready for the busy period. Ideally, this isn’t your first time working in guest service, and you have the bandwidth and scheduling flexibility for a 30-day chocolate onboarding. You are excited to grow in your role and take on more responsibility.
- Hours: Part-time,
- Industry: Food and Beverage,
- Position is Entry-level,
- Coffee & Chocolate Excellence: Create hot chocolate drinks and espresso drinks with our manual machine and brew coffee using our Ground Control Cyclops machine with a consistent level of excellence. Know allergen information and be able to answer questions about our chocolate and coffee products with ease. Make recommendations for pairing chocolate with espresso drinks based upon your chocolate knowledge and experience.
- Guest Service: Regardless of the day of the week or the crowds, customers can depend upon you for an amazing drink and pastry experience. Be timely, dress professionally, and develop long-standing relationships so that visitors look forward to your thoughtful attention.
- Systems & Processes: Identify ways to improve operating procedures, checklists, and documentation so that your individual observations benefit the entire team and lead to all-around cafe improvements.
- Team-player: Be a positive, team-oriented player who brings the team up even when the line is out the door. Your coworkers want to work with you again (and again and again).
- Other tasks as necessary
- Great Interpersonal Skills: you should be able to develop a quick rapport with customers by detailing our chocolate making process and why you relate to it, inspiring guests to learn more about chocolate!
- Proven ability to work well within a team environment.
- Previous experience: 1-2 years of retail or customer-facing work experience in a fast-paced environment. Experience making espresso drinks is a huge plus!
- Weekend & Weekday Availability: Some evening and weekend availability is required. We can offer anywhere from 24-40 hours per week.
$17.50/hour plus tips
The benefits and perks continue beyond a robust chocolate education. Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in our people and culture. All team members receive heavily subsidized medical, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. All team members receive paid vacation time, holiday pay, and paid sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, FSAs, chocolate tasting opportunities, and a range of opportunities to grow and develop within the company.
Part-Time, some evening and weekend availability is required.
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
Dandelion Chocolate is growing and we are invested in employees who take ownership over their role in order to contribute in a bigger way with us. To stand out from the crowd, send us your resume and a cover letter that details your favorite food experience or influence. Keep in mind that we value passion, attitude, and hard work, so tell us what inspires you to join our café team. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.