Ritual Coffee Website
RITUAL IS CHANGING THE WAY PEOPLE KNOW COFFEE.
In 2005, when corporate coffee dominated American culture, Ritual unknowingly started a fun and exciting revolution that would ultimately help launch the new coffee movement.
We buy 90+% of our beans from producer partners that we have relationships with, setting the highest standard
in the industry. This makes sure we get our hands on the best beans in the world, but more importantly, makes sure our farmers maintain the quality of life they deserve.
Now a bona fide San Francisco original, we’ve also earned our iconic status as one of the best coffee roasting companies in the world. The mission of Ritual Coffee is simple: to make people happy by giving them the best coffee experience they’ve ever had. Ritual roasts in SoMa, and has cafes in San Francisco and Napa.
Ritual Coffee is seeking a hard-working and enthusiastic barista to create experiences that change the way people know coffee. We are looking for that special someone who is dedicated to customer service, teamwork, and quality to work in our Flagship cafe on Valencia Street.
As our new barista, you do not need to know our exact systems and techniques before you start, but you need to be self-aware and humble – able to jump in, be helpful and problem-solve where needed. People who do not take initiative, who are not customer oriented, not open to feedback, nor passionate about coffee need not apply. You are meant for this role if you are a team player with a strong interest in and appreciation for coffee quality.
Ultimately, we are looking for someone who has a talent for people, coffee, and supporting coworkers, and who is wholeheartedly enthusiastic about growing with our business. If this is you, we can’t wait to meet you!
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Food and Beverage,
With direct supervision and training support, all baristas are expected to:
- Contribute to the overall culture and business growth using our Culture Guide as a tool for self-reflection and an ongoing commitment to self-growth, the growth in others, and the growth of the company
- Contribute to the overall culture and business growth by participating in or leading improvement committees and projects when needed
- Ensure that our customers have positive interactions and are consistently served delicious coffee to our quality standards
- Stay knowledgeable about all cafe offerings, including drinks, beans, brew equipment, and Ritual
- Be proactive within the coffee bar team to anticipate needs, prevent problems, and maintain smooth operations
- Follow all employee and cafe operations policies, including but not limited to: cash handling, scheduling and feedback processes
- Help keep the cafe clean, beautiful and safe, providing both employees and customers with a fun, inclusive environment
This is a regular, full time, hourly, non-exempt position 30-40 hours per week.
Baristas are expected to work at least one weekend day.
Baristas are supervised by the Cafe Manage.
- Possession of a current Food Handler’s Card
- Love of coffee
- Passion for excellent customer service
- Stellar verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal one-on-one, team, and partnership skills
- High level of emotional intelligence with a positive outlook and good sense of humor
- Seeks out feedback and is excited about self-growth and improvement within the context of the job
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Able to handle critical customer situations with ease
- Must pay strong attention to detail and have passion for high quality products
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
The physical requirements listed are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular and consistent attendance and the ability to sit and work with hands and arms for at least eight (8) hours per day and five (5) days per week.
- Physical ability to stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, walk, crawl, push and pull items weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Stand and move throughout the cafe/ office.
- Must be able to interact with customers for at least eight (8) hours per day and five (5) days per week.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentage.
- Have consistent and reliable onsite attendance at the cafe/ office.
- Proficient interpersonal relations and communicative skills in English;
- Interpret and follow a variety of instructions and procedures furnished in English - written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Meet daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly and other deadlines consistently.
- Work under pressure with changing, ambiguous priorities.
- Communicate effectively and promptly to clients, vendors and employees of the organization.
- High level of manual dexterity to adeptly type and use computer equipment.
- Auditory and visual skills – Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to work overtime occasionally at the last minute.
- Occasional Travel may be required.
- Stand stationary in cafe throughout the shift for periods of time (up to 8 hours per day, 5 days per week);
- Continuous physical activity including walking, standing, twisting, sitting, bending, lifting, reaching, kneeling, stooping, crawling, wiping, climbing, pushing and pulling items weighing 50 pounds for distances of up to 20 ft.;
- Ability to perform moderately strenuous physical work and withstand temperatures of 0 degrees Fahrenheit or less and 100 degrees Fahrenheit or more;
- Be able to adeptly use restaurant equipment;
- Perform basic math and fractions to complete recipes;
- Understand and respond to staff and customer requests in a loud environment
Minimum 1 year experience in a customer service position
Experience with soliciting and implementing feedback to improve performance
Starting Barista wage is $16.07/hr plus tips, with several opportunities for training and performance-based raises.
Ritual Coffee strongly believes in investing in our people and our culture. We offer great benefits including subsidized medical insurance, dental insurance, and commuter benefits. All employees are eligible for paid time off, paid sick days, holidays (paid at time and a half) and a matching 401k plan.
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
Please upload your resume and a cover letter explaining why you’d be a great Barista. We are passionate about creating safe, welcoming, and inclusive spaces on both sides of the counter and behind the scenes at Ritual. We best achieve our mission (making people happy by giving them the best coffee experience they’ve ever had) when our staff reflects the broad diversity of people who love coffee. Our commitment to inclusion across race, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, physical ability, experience, and perspective is part of what makes Ritual the innovative place that it is.