Fort Point Beer Company
Fort Point Beer Company Website
Fort Point is an independent San Francisco beer company made up of people who believe the simple things in life can be a whole lot better. Our approach to brewing is to make the familiar taste unusually delicious. We’re influenced by the craft brewing tradition, but we’re also allergic to dogma. We care most about making beers worth coming back to—beers that people are proud to enjoy and share with each other.
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Food and Beverage,
Fort Point Beer Company is seeking a Sensory Manager to join our team. In this role you will be responsible for developing a robust sensory program that provides actionable information to the brewing team in order to sustain and improve beer quality. Ideal candidates will have hands-on experience in brewing, cellaring, and packaging, as well as food and beverage sensory training and/or work experience. You will work with brewery staff and management to train panelists, conduct sensory evaluations, and manage and track process improvements. You will also help develop beer education and training programs across the entire company. The ideal candidate will have an unwavering commitment to beer quality, a strong attention to detail, and the ability to single-handedly develop and implement new systems with minimal oversight.
This position works primarily out of our production facility in San Francisco’s Presidio but will also oversee production by our contract brewing partners in San Jose, CA. You will regularly be asked to attend company meetings and industry events, as necessary, in San Francisco and throughout California.
- Thorough knowledge of sensory evaluation methods and standards
- Robust understanding of beer flavors and off-flavors
- Interpret sensory information to propose and implement recipe and process improvements in brewhouse and cellar
- Knowledge of statistics, data analysis and management
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
- Prepare reports and presentations for a wide range of audiences
- Passion for teaching and developing employee beer knowledge and appreciation
- Decision making and problem solving skills
Bonus Skills (Optional):
- Experience using statistical software (XLSTAT, R, etc.)
- Active participation with American Society of Brewing Chemists or Master Brewers Association of the Americas
- Interest in publishing research/white papers on behalf of company
Paid vacation time (2 weeks); Paid sick time (3 days); Health Care: 100% Employer contribution to Kaiser Gold plan and 50% for Dependents Eligible for Dental, Vision, Accident, Life, and Identity Theft group plans; Eligible for Pet Insurance group plan; Non Matching 401(k) Commuter pre-tax benefits; Medical and Dependent Care FSA pre-tax benefits; Beer and Food benefits
Other Application Requirements
Fort Point Beer Co. is committed to equal employment opportunity in all of its employment practices and makes employment decisions for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, disability, military or veteran status, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protect by state or federal law.