Ritual Coffee Roasters
Ritual Coffee Roasters Website
RITUAL IS CHANGING THE WAY PEOPLE KNOW COFFEE.
In 2005, when corporate coffee dominated American culture, Ritual unknowingly started a fun and crazy revolution that would ultimately help launch the new coffee movement. We buy 90+% of our beans direct from our producer partners, setting the highest standard
in the industry. This makes sure we get our hands on the best beans in the world, but more importantly, makes sure our farmers maintain the quality of life they deserve. Now a bona fide San Francisco original, we’ve also earned our iconic status as one of the best coffee roasting companies in the world. The mission of Ritual Coffee is simple: to make people happy by giving them the best coffee experience they’ve ever had. Ritual roasts in SoMa, and has 6 cafes in San Francisco and Napa.
We are passionate about creating safe, welcoming, and inclusive spaces on both sides of the counter and behind the scenes at Ritual. We best achieve our mission (making people happy by giving them the best coffee experience they’ve ever had) when our staff reflects the broad diversity of people who love coffee. Our commitment to inclusion across race, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, physical ability, experience, and perspective is part of what makes Ritual the innovative place that it is.
DIVERSITY AT RITUAL: COFFEE IS FOR EVERYONE
We are passionate about creating safe, welcoming, and inclusive spaces on both sides of the counter and behind the scenes at Ritual. We best achieve our mission (making people happy by giving them the best coffee experience they’ve ever had) when our staff reflects the broad diversity of people who love coffee. Our commitment to inclusion across race, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, physical ability, experience, and perspective is part of what makes Ritual the innovative place that it is. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We thank you for your interest in a career opportunity with Ritual Coffee. Due to high volume, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Food and Beverage,
The Ritual Coffee Cafe Manager is the enthusiastic, professional, and organized leader that ensures our cafe is always running smoothly and our baristas feel supported. We are looking for that special someone who is passionate about helping us scale our
business to the next level through improved strategies, systems, and cultural development.
This person is deeply interested in self-growth - asking for constructive feedback and applying it; a natural at providing direct, helpful, and inspiring guidance to all. We are looking for a leader with a clear and compassionate communication style who is great at being objective, and is a natural at connecting with people. As The Ritual Coffee Cafe Manager, you do not need to know our exact systems before you start, but you need to be committed to your own growth and the growth and success of the cafe team, your co-workers across departments, and the company as a
whole. Your role is to be willing to and actively jumping in and developing solutions where needed.
People who are not flexible, not ready to lead by example, nor not open to feedback - need not apply. You are meant for this role if you are a problem solver and a self-starter with a strong interest in - and appreciation for - coffee and people. Ultimately, we are looking for someone who has a talent for cafe operations, coffee, supporting coworkers, and who is wholeheartedly enthusiastic about growing with our business. If this is you, we can’t wait to meet you!
CLASSIFICATION & SUPERVISION
● This is a regular, full-time, hourly non-exempt position
● The Cafe Manager will be expected to work at least one weekend day
● The Cafe Manager reports to the Retail People Operations Manager
● Lead a team of approximately 10-20 retail employees, including Assistant Manager, Shift Leads, a Coffee Educator and Baristas
○ Contribute to the overall culture and business growth using our Culture Guide as a tool for self-reflection and an ongoing commitment to
self-growth, the growth in others, and the growth of the company.
○ Contribute to the overall culture and business growth by participating in or leading improvement committees and projects when needed.
○ Hire people who are a great fit for Ritual and anticipate hiring needs of your cafe.
○ Train and develop café staff to be knowledgeable and provide great customer service.
○ Be a great leader and role model of our culture in your cafe and an ambassador for Ritual in the community.
○ Observe employees and prepare for giving meaningful, supportive regular feedback.
○ Conduct timely reviews and deliver direct and compassionate feedback, both positive and constructive, and provide tools for baristas to grow
during their time at Ritual.
○ Work with the leadership team to develop and implement standards for Ritual’s culture, values, quality and customer service.
● Retail café customers are consistently served delicious coffee to our quality and service standards.
○ Demonstrate Ritual’s standards for customer service, ensure that all cafe employees are supported to provide that.
○ Work with the Head of Training to ensure that standards are upheld in cafes and that the caliber of training is sufficient for the cafe to excel.
● Our flagship cafe is profitable and contributes to the sustainability of Ritual and our communities – both locally and globally.
○ Monitor and analyze sales and profitability of the café, be able to cost individual items to maintain established margins.
○ Work with the Retail Operations Manager to ensure that all items and tax settings are accurate in the POS system.
○ Oversee cashier functions, including ensuring that items are rung up accurately, and cash handling, including monitoring over/short and deposits.
○ Set ambitious but achievable goals for each quarter that fit into the outcomes for your position, are in line with overall goals for your cafe, and
○ Understand how to manage labor, cost of goods, and controllable expenses to contribute to a sustainable bottom line, while making decisions in keeping with Ritual’s values.
● Ritual flagship cafe is clean, beautiful and safe, providing both employees and customers with a fun, inclusive environment.
○ Create and maintain a program for preventative maintenance, ensuring that equipment, furniture and café spaces are maintained and updated
regularly to prevent them from getting worn down, dated, or falling into disrepair.
○ Contribute ideas to keeping the café fun and fresh.
○ Build teams, systems, and processes to ensure the cafe always runs smoothly in spite of inevitable surprises.
● Minimum 1-2 years experience in a cafe leadership role
● Proven experience building healthy and inclusive diverse teams
● An approachable people-person with a high level of emotional intelligence, patience, compassion and problem solving skills
● Excellent communication and teaching skills, able to engage and inspire professional growth
● Infectious love of coffee
● Proficiency with Google Drive, spreadsheets and general comfort with use of technology
● Availability: on-call for emergencies, ability to be on site at cafe when urgently needed
● Must be authorized to work in the United States (Required)
The physical requirements listed are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Regular and consistent attendance and the ability to sit and work with hands and arms for at least eight (8) hours per day and five (5) days per week.
● Physical ability to stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, walk, crawl, push and pull items weighing up to 20 pounds.
● Stand and move throughout the cafe/ office.
● Must be able to interact with customers for at least eight (8) hours per day and five (5) days per week.
● Add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentage.
● Have consistent and reliable onsite attendance at the cafe/ office.
● Proficient interpersonal relations and communicative skills in English;
● Interpret and follow a variety of instructions and procedures furnished in English - written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
● Write routine reports and correspondence.
● Meet daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly and other deadlines consistently.
● Work under pressure with changing, ambiguous priorities.
● Communicate effectively and promptly to clients, vendors, and employees of the organization.
● High level of manual dexterity to adeptly type and use computer equipment.
● Auditory and visual skills – Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
● Ability to work overtime occasionally at the last minute.
● Occasional Travel may be required.
● Stand stationary in cafe throughout the shift for periods of time (up to 8 hours per day, 5 days per week);
● Continuous physical activity including walking, standing, twisting, sitting, bending, lifting, reaching, kneeling, stooping, crawling, wiping, climbing, pushing and pulling items weighing 50 pounds for distances of up to 20 ft.;
● Ability to perform moderately strenuous physical work and withstand temperatures of 0 degrees Fahrenheit or less and 100 degrees Fahrenheit or more;
● Be able to adeptly use restaurant equipment;
● Perform basic math and fractions to complete recipes;
● Understand and respond to staff and customer requests in a loud environment
Competitive pay based on experience.
Ritual Coffee strongly believes in investing in our people and our culture. We offer great benefits including subsidized medical insurance, dental insurance, and commuter benefits. All employees are eligible for paid time off, paid sick days, holidays (paid at time and a half) and a matching 401k plan.
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements