Dark Garden Unique Corsetry
Dark Garden Unique Corsetry Website
Dark Garden creates beautiful ready-to-wear and custom corsets and clothing in our Hayes Valley workshop and retail boutique. Autumn Adamme established Dark Garden in 1989 and is known amongst corsetieres as the “Godmother of Modern Corsetry.”
Our gowns and corsets have been seen most recently on the red carpet of the Met Gala as foundation for the works of Moschino (2019 & 2021), inHollywood on Christina Aguilera, Kelly Osbourne and Dita Von Teese, throughout San Francisco’s post-modern cabaret nightlife, on countless alternative and traditional brides not only in San Francisco but also in Europe and elsewhere in the United States.
In 1994 Dark Garden moved to its present location in the Hayes Valley neighborhood of San Francisco. Autumn and Dark Garden take pride in contributing to the community of the San Francisco Bay Area by currently employing over a dozen local people as cutters, stitchers,
fitters and production coordinators. In 2019 we also opened a second retail location in New Orleans. All work from—design concept through to garment completion—is done at the Hayes Valley shop.
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Apparel and Sewn Goods,
Duties will include:
- Stitching mockups and final garments (excluding corsets), making sure that client orders are completed to the highest standard as well as in a timely manner
- Visualizing construction processes for non-standardized designs (a can-do/solution-oriented and organized approach to construction)
- Collaboration with the company designers, production manager, patternmaker, and store manager
- Estimating costs, recording hours and materials for each step of each project, and working within budgets
- Expert sewing skills including difficult fabrics such as silk charmeuse and chiffon.
- Custom bridal or costume design and construction work experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be completely comfortable working with alternative weddings and all gender identities
- Basic computer applications
- Interest and knowledge of historical and current fashion very useful
- Some knowledge of corsetry very useful
Benefits include partial health coverage after a probationary period and discounts on shop merchandise.
Approximately 32 to 40 hours per week
Other Application Requirements
In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.