Roam Robotics Website
At our core, we are a mobility company. Our goal is to reinvent the way we make powered orthotics -- otherwise known as exoskeletons -- making them inexpensive and comfortable while still rugged enough for high performance activities, including those of first responders and the military. Whether carrying someone out of danger or a hundred pound pack full of life-sustaining gear, we believe our devices can keep our soldiers and first responders safer and healthier while protecting their joints for the long-haul. We are developing a new class of exoskeleton that uses high strength fabrics and a pneumatic powertrain, resulting in power to weight ratios that are unmatched by existing exoskeleton systems at a significantly lower cost. We are looking for smart, motivated engineers and designers to help develop the components that make this technology possible.
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Advanced Manufacturing,
This is a full time position working at the Roam facility in San Francisco. You will work with our mechanical engineering team to fabricate, validate, and debug pneumatic powered orthotics that enable our users to push the limits of human mobility. Some of the specific responsibilities include:
- Assist with in-house short run prototype builds including mechanical and electrical components
- Fabrication and modification of parts and assemblies
- Test fixture assembly, operation, and data recording
- Update firmware on our hardware
- Track the state of devices and perform repairs when necessary
- Maintain fleet of demonstration units
- Conduct root cause analysis for bugs and design problems
We are seeking highly motivated and adaptable individuals who will explore the peaks and valleys of all problems that may come up while building a new generation of robots that will enable users to push the limits of human mobility.
- 2+ years demonstrated experience assembling and debugging complex electro-mechanical systems
- Demonstrated experience working in a machine shop with the ability to safely operate common machine tools including lathes and mills
- Strong mechanical background
- Proficient with Solidworks
- Able to deliver quality work in a fast-paced startup environment
- Ability to relocate to work at the Roam San Francisco office
- Academic background in mechanical engineering or a related field
- Experience designing, maintaining, or operating electro-mechanical test equipment
- Experience with more advanced machine tools including CNC mills, laser cutters, or water jets
- Experience with composites
- Strong preference given to candidates available immediately
- US Citizen or permanent resident
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
Roam Robotics is an equal opportunity employer. Our hiring decisions are based on need and competence to satisfy said need. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected status.
Any and all offers of employment extended by Roam Robotics are conditional on candidates’ ability to provide satisfactory proof of eligibility to maintain full-time employment in the United States. At this time, Roam Robotics is unable to provide visa sponsorship.
Roam Robotics maintains contracts with the US Military, you may, at a later time, be required to obtain a US Government security clearance as a condition of continued employment. As of this moment, there is no such requirement for any current or future employee.