Bi-Rite Catering + Commissary
Bi-Rite Catering + Commissary Website
Create Community Through Food With Us!
The Bi-Rite Family of Businesses includes two Markets (on 18th Street and Divisadero), the Creamery, our Catering and Commissary Kitchen, as well as the Bi-Rite Farm in Sonoma, CA. We believe that food does more than nourish, it brings people together. As a Certified B Corporation, we believe it’s our responsibility to build meaningful relationships with each part of our extended family: the food we make and sell connects our staff, our guests, our producers, and the environment. Named one of Forbes 25 Best Companies in America, our team is comprised of entrepreneurs, dreamers, doers, artists, activists, and, of course, food lovers! If you’re a people person with a passion for heartfelt service, we invite you to Create Community Through Food with us!
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Food and Beverage,
We have an immediate opening for an Executive Chef. The Executive Chef is a key leadership role responsible for the successful execution and scaling of all Bi-Rite’s Housemade product manufacturing across the entire Bi-Rite Family of Businesses. This role encompasses all aspects of managing the commissary kitchen and providing support to the market kitchens. It includes leadership and people management, smooth and seamless kitchen operations, achieving company goals, setting and upholding food quality and consistency standards, controlling inventory levels and mitigating waste, maintaining kitchen equipment and facilities, and safely handling all our products and equipment. This role requires a proven track record in optimizing and scaling a food production facility, stellar leadership and people management skills, and the ability to successfully manage the technical aspects of the business (e.g., financial metrics, product development and production, logistics, food safety programs). The Executive Chef helps execute our company-wide strategies to support the Bi-Rite Missions, 2024 Vision, and Community Values.
- Accountable for the overall success of the Catering + Commissary kitchen. Oversees the day-to-day operations and manages the achievement of long-term financial goals and the implementation of Bi-Rite campaigns and initiatives.
- Hires, trains, manages, and develops department staff (30-36 kitchen staff, including 4-6 direct reports).
- Executes strategic plan for all Housemade products (e.g., savory/sweet/catering/prepack/deli full-service) – from product development to commercialization to guest satisfaction. Develops Bi-Rite Housemade products that meet current and future needs of our guests.
- Owns the guest experience and relationships with the wholesale clients, including the markets, creamery, cafe, and non-Bi-Rite customers.
- Acts as the face of Bi-Rite Catering + Commissary kitchen, fostering and managing food vendor relationships and accounts.
- Collaborates with the GM and Bi-Rite Family of Businesses leadership team to achieve company goals.
- Maintains organized and accurate inventory levels and period end physical counts.
- Committed to Bi-Rite's mission to Create Community Through Food and values of Lead with Love, Pursue with Passion and Act with Integrity.
- Genuinely finds interest in learning about and sharing Good Food.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver great internal and external service: identifying what others need, getting it for them and taking the extra steps to ensure they have a positive experience.
- Able to work independently; possesses effective prioritization and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to follow directions and procedures, and accurately completes assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Approaches new situations and people with openness, curiosity and humility; treats others with dignity and respect.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with shifting priorities.
- Energetic, works with a sense of urgency and adapts to the needs of the business.
- Embraces change and proposes more effective ways of working.
- Ability to fulfill the physical requirements of the role with or without accommodations.
- Ability to communicate in a concise, clear and productive manner; seeks to understand others through active listening.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with others to complete tasks and achieve shared goals.
- Fluency in the English language, spoken and written.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays, as needed.
- Demonstrated exemplary attendance.
- 5+ years culinary management experience in a high-volume food production or manufacturing facility.
- Proven track record in optimizing and scaling a food production facility.
- Ability to successfully manage the sales, operations and technical aspects of the business (e.g., developing sales strategies, financial metrics, product development and production, logistics, food safety program).
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Strategic, entrepreneurial, process-driven, systems builder that leverages technology and continuous improvement methods to build operational efficiency.
- Experience developing, implementing and maintaining successful occupational safety, food safety and quality assurance programs.
- Financial acumen, including P&L management, preparing margin and waterfall analysis, demonstrated success driving sales and revenue, experience with food costing IT systems, and ROI analysis.
- Passion for food and creating an exceptional guest experience.
- Stellar leadership and people management skills. Experience managing, developing and inspiring staff, including mid-level and senior managers.
- Experience with development of new products and catering services preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills; Bi-lingual English and Spanish strongly preferred.
- Change management expertise, including evaluating, designing and implementing new programs and initiatives in a bilingual organization.
- Required proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook; food costing technologies (e.g., ChefTech).
The Perks: Our unique staff culture and generous benefits package sets us apart from other food businesses. We offer a 25% (alcohol 20%) discount on purchases throughout the businesses, a meal provided with your shift, medical, dental and vision plan after 60 days of employment, a 401K retirement plan with employer match, access to 18 Reason classes and the opportunity for career advancement. And of course, a team of mindful, smart and happy people to work with every day!
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
To Apply: submit your resume and cover letter. We’d love for you to take the time to write a few sentences telling what you know and love about the Bi-Rite Family of Businesses, your interest in working at Bi-Rite, and what you hope to learn by working with us.