Bi-Rite Market Website
The Bi-Rite Family of Businesses has been a San Francisco institution for more than 80 years. Today, the company includes two neighborhood Markets (on 18th Street and Divisadero), a world-renowned Creamery and solar-powered Creamery Truck, and our creative Catering and Commissary Kitchen. We believe food does more than nourish, it brings people together. As a Certified B Corporation, ranked in the top 5% for the world for our community impact, it’s our responsibility to build meaningful relationships with each part of our extended family: the food we make and sell connects our staff, our guests, our producers, and the environment. Named one of Forbes 25 Best Small Companies in America, our team is comprised of entrepreneurs, dreamers, doers, artists, activists, and, of course, food lovers!
If you’re a people person with a passion for heartfelt service, we invite you to join us on our mission of Creating Community Through Food®!
Bi-Rite Management Services, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Submit your application and cover letter. We’d love for you to take the time to write a few sentences telling what you know and love about Bi-Rite, your interest in working here, and what you hope to learn by working with us.
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Food and Beverage,
The Food Production and Packing Department Manager is responsible for creating an inspiring experience for our guests. They give outstanding service by meeting and exceeding our guests’ expectations and providing excellent internal service to the team. Their responsibilities include managing the smooth and seamless operations of the department, reaching store goals, upholding product quality and consistency standards, controlling inventory levels and mitigating waste, maintaining equipment and facilities, and safely handling all our products and equipment. They are part of a cohesive Bi-Rite leadership team that supports the Bi-Rite Missions, 2024 Vision, and Community Values.
- Accountable for the overall success of the Food Production and Packing Department including production and packaging of prepared foods including (but not limited to) meat, poultry, seafood, fruit, cheese, salads and sandwiches. - Oversees the day-to-day running of the department and manages the achievement of long-term department goals and the implementation of Bi-Rite campaigns and initiatives.
- Hires, trains, manages, and develops department staff (10-15).
- Develops, documents, and trains staff on standard operating procedures and effective sales skills. Accountable for maintaining staff training schedule
and keeping department training documents up to date.
- Responsible for staff engagement, growth and retention. Monitors staff performance through motivating, coaching and performance improvement
plans. Reviews overall staff performance with quarterly feedback conversations (QFCs.)
- Collaborates with the GM, Assistant General Manager, Department Managers and BRFOB Category Sales Manager to ensure product quality, merchandising, signage, training and financial performance standards are met.
- Accountable for maintaining organized and accurate inventory levels and completing period end physical counts.
- Committed to Bi-Rite's mission to Create Community Through Food and values of Lead with Love, Pursue with Passion and Act with Integrity.
- Genuinely finds interest in learning about and sharing Good Food.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver great internal and external service: identifying what others need, getting it for them and taking the extra steps to ensure they have a positive experience.
- Able to work independently; possesses effective prioritization and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to follow directions and procedures, and accurately completes assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Approaches new situations and people with openness, curiosity and humility; treats others with dignity and respect.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with shifting priorities.
- Energetic, works with a sense of urgency and adapts to the needs of the business.
- Embraces change and proposes more effective ways of working.
- Ability to fulfill the physical requirements of the role with or without accommodations.
- Ability to communicate in a concise, clear and productive manner; seeks to understand others through active listening.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with others to complete tasks and achieve shared goals.
- Fluency in the English language, spoken and written.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays, as needed.
- Committed to punctuality and exemplary attendance.
- College degree or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years’ experience people management with proven ability to deliver training and coaching effectively.
- 2+ years’ experience working in food preparation, production, culinary field, butchery, or similar; excellent sales skills, deep product knowledge.
- Service leader, strong knowledge of retail guest service.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong public speaking skills.
- Knowledge of food procurement and inventory management.
- Strong presentation and meeting preparation skills.
- Solid math skills for basic budgeting, and inventory control.
- Proficient in MS Outlook, Word, Excel, ability to learn new technologies.
- Ability to work nights and weekends when needed.
- ServSafe Manager's Certification, ServSafe California Food Handler card is required within 30 days post-hire. Bi-Rite provides on-site training and certification.
40% discount on purchases (20% on alcohol); 100% paid medical, dental and vision insurance; Paid Time Off; Holiday Pay; 401(k) retirement plan with employer match (4%) and profit sharing; Paid training, field trips and volunteerism; Career advancement opportunities; A satisfying meal with your shift; Weekly on-site COVID testing; Pre-tax commuter benefits; Employee Assistance Programs; Free 18 Reasons Cooking Classes
Full-time; Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
Bi-Rite staff are essential workers exposed to the public. For everyone’s safety, Bi-Rite requires a full COVID vaccination for all new hires. You are required to submit your completed vaccination card during the application process. To validate your proof of vaccination with the State of California, visit http://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov. If you are not currently vaccinated, your application will be put on hold until you can show proof of vaccination. If you are unable to obtain a vaccination, you may request a medical or religious accommodation by emailing [email protected]
.com. Thank you for helping keep yourself and others safe.