Luke's Local Website
Luke's Local is an independently-owned grocery business that provides food from local family farms, butchers, ranchers, and food makers. Luke's sincerely sources great food made with integrity, and is passionate about making grocery shopping an inspiring experience for Bay Area communities. We operate a bustling brick and mortar market on Cole and Parnassus in the heart of Cole Valley, and a second market in Cow Hollow that opened in November of 2020! Luke’s offers a same-day grocery delivery and pick up service from both locations. As a company, we are constantly striving to create an environment that fosters equity, inclusion, and nourishment for our customers and team members alike. Our hope is to make it possible for anyone to bring the spirit of discovery, creativity, and joy into their kitchens. We hope you’ll join us.
The HR Manager is responsible for providing support to store and kitchen staff in all HR functional areas. You will serve as a resource to store and kitchen leadership to create a healthy atmosphere where all staff can thrive, feel valued, experience job satisfaction, and have opportunities to grow their careers. You are responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining thoughtful and compliant people systems in alignment with our company culture and values. You will oversee benefits administration, personnel relations, recruitment and onboarding, performance reviews and disciplinary administration, documentation and compliance, and other Human Resources matters.
- Hours: Full-time,
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Establishes a professional relationship with each staff member in the store. Works to build community among staff, and with department managers.
- Works collaboratively to maintain a harmonious work environment and resolve staff complaints and other workplace issues. Communicates in a professional and constructive manner.
- Handles confidential matters with discretion.
- Communicates with staff to ensure critical HR and company information is shared. Responds to staff issues and conducts workplace investigations.
- Engages external customers in a friendly manner, shares information, assists in locating products or resources, and seeks opportunities to enhance the customer experience.
- Work with the COO to engage all staff in regular team building activities.
- Assists staff members and their managers with the leaves process (FMLA, Military, Personal, etc.). Manages leaves for location. Conducts audits, tracks and administers leaves and employee eligibility.
- Performs benefits administration and communicates with staff regarding benefits orientations and annual Open Enrollment, ensuring they are available to answer all benefits-related questions from staff, especially during Open Enrollment periods.
- Shows a keen understanding of all Luke’s Local benefit plans and supports staff with questions.
Recruitment, Onboarding/Offboarding, and Training
- Consults with store leadership and hiring managers on recruitment needs, encourages and promotes diversity and equity in all aspects in hiring practice and process.
- Manages job postings from open to close, including management of monthly recruitment budget
- Coaches and trains hiring managers on the recruiting process, including candidate selection, interviewing, providing interview feedback, selection and offer process.
- Manages applicant tracking process: screens resumes / profiles, conducts pre-screen interviews and proactively builds a pipeline of qualified candidates for entry-level through department manager positions.
- Participates in job fairs and local community events to attract diverse talent to location.
- Oversees and ensures audits of all new hire paperwork and accurate completion of all new hire data entry in Gusto.
- Oversees exit interviews
- Oversees all staff training programs, ensuring managers meet deadlines for onboarding, cross-training initiatives and other training programs.
Performance and Disciplinary
- Ensures application of HR policies and procedures are consistent. Works with the store leadership team to ensure staff member performance reviews are well-written, delivered effectively and delivered timely.
- Ensures proper documentation and storage of all employee relations issues at location.
- Engages with store leaders in monitoring, preparing, supporting and delivering of progressive discipline process proactively including corrective actions and up to termination, including reviewing all written corrective actions prior to delivery.
- Oversees biannual Performance Review process in conjunction with Controller and COO, including management of Performance Review forms and scheduling
Documentation and Compliance
- Maintain and revise the company’s handbook on policies and procedures
- Implement current governmental requirements and laws as needed
- Maintain department records, reports, company directory and other organizational charts
- Tracks and administers workers' compensation in accordance with company and state requirements.
- Works with COO to establish, measure, and analyze the effectiveness of the Company’s Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion initiatives.
- Follows up with staff on claims, including managing Modified Duty assignments and Return to Work. Completes EAIPs to offset the cost of Modified Duty assignments.
- Ensures OSHA 300 logs are accurate and up to date.
- Represents the Company regarding unemployment insurance claims, including hearings.
- Assists with, processes and e-files staff paperwork including Personnel Action Forms, Corrective Actions and Termination documents. Ensures required paperwork is retained per legal and company requirements.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Excellent time management skills
- Collaborative, critical, and open-minded approach to all challenges
- High level of integrity and accountability for handling confidential information
- Meticulous organizational and communication skills with attention to detail
- A self-starter, resourceful, able to work independently, as part of our team, and adjust to shifting priorities
- Creative thinker
- Eagerness to learn
- Bachelor’s degree
- SHRM-CP, PHR, or SPHR certification
$75,000 - $90,000/year
Medical insurance, with employer contribution of up to 100% Dental insurance, with 70% employer contribution Vision insurance, with 50% employer contribution; Paid sick leave; Paid vacation; Paid volunteer days; Pre-tax 401k savings account; Storewide employee discount of 20%; Daily staff meal; Pre-tax commuter benefits savings account; Regular review & raise cycles; Professional development and mentorship program
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
Luke’s Local requires all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. All new hires will be required to be vaccinated [1st dose] prior to their first day of scheduled work OR must request an accommodation under medical or religious exemptions.