Dandelion Chocolate Website
Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate factory in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origins as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment the beans we buy. Every chocolate bar we make starts with the bean, and now we’re looking for a Pastry Assistant at our 16th Street Factory to help us showcase our single-origin chocolate in our drinks and pastries in our San Francisco cafés.
About the Job
Our pastries are inspired by the distinct flavor profiles of the cocoa beans we source, which means our recipes are continually evolving within a unique creative constraint. You will learn each of our recipes in detail and support the café’s changing needs by making new batches of drinks and pastries. Our executive pastry chef, Lisa Vega (formerly of Gary Danko), helms the kitchen and leads recipe development. Every day in the kitchen starts early and ends with preparation of batters and doughs for the next day’s bake. We are looking for a pastry assistant who is excited about contributing to our beverage and pastry production and who takes delight working with a well-run, creative, and drama-free team. We especially welcome professionals who have the intention to commit to the role for at least a year.
You are a master of consistency and refinement -- thorough, attentive, and precise with your work. Our kitchen’s success depends upon how well we communicate with each other, take care of our own stations and messes, and keep our eyes on time-sensitive things like sugar on the burner. From preparing cookie dough and marshmallows for the upcoming day to refilling our inventory of chocolate drinks, you willingly jump into the task with an eye for detail. We are looking for someone who is a good communicator, punctual, kind, fastidious, and eager to learn.
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Food and Beverage,
- Position is Entry-level,
- Prep work -- Prepare batters, doughs, cakes, and ganaches for hot chocolates so that our teams can meet each day’s customer demand. You are someone who finds zen in the repetition of production.
- Execution -- Follow through on daily production assignments.
- Cleanliness and organization -- Keep the kitchen clean and organized and abide by all hygiene and safety best practices.
- Team player -- Willing to work hard and jump in when needed (e.g. sweep floors, wash dishes, lift heavy objects.) You’re a good listener who asks questions when something is unclear.
- Other tasks as necessary
- Availability -- Weekend availability and can work full-time (35+ hours/week). Flexible schedule preferred. Our shifts start at 7am or 8am.
- Prior experience -- At least one year of previous pastry experience
- Passion -- A passion for chocolate and pastry!
- Proactive and detail-oriented -- You don’t take short-cuts even when others might not notice.
- Positive, enthusiastic attitude -- People like to work with you, you prioritize a team win over your individual gain, and you proactively help to make this a great place to work by minimizing any drama or politics.
- Physical strength -- Comfortable doing repetitive tasks and standing for long periods of time.
$18.75+ per hour depending on experience
The benefits and perks continue beyond a robust chocolate education. Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in our people and culture. All team members receive heavily subsidized medical, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. All team members receive paid vacation time, holiday pay, and paid sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, FSAs, chocolate tasting opportunities, and a range of opportunities to grow and develop within the company.
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
We are invested in team members who take ownership over their role and are interested in contributing in a bigger way with us. If you are interested, we’d like to see your resume and cover letter, including a paragraph about your favorite food experience or influence and what excites you about the prospect of working in a single origin chocolate pastry kitchen. Keep in mind that we value passion, attitude, and hard work above just experience, so tell us what inspires you in food and why you would like to work with us. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.