Heath Ceramics Website
Heath Ceramics is a California company making dinnerware and architectural tile of good and enduring design for over 70 years. We are design-led, with the mission of creating products of beauty and integrity, while designing, manufacturing, and running our business in a way that's better for society and our planet. By taking responsibility for the entire lifecycle, we offer better products and experiences from beginning to end. We believe in the benefits of local manufacturing and support a community of people committed to and inspired by the process of designing, making, and sharing. We believe in providing a living wage, full health and welfare benefits, and a place for meaningful work.
Heath is looking for an experienced Payroll Administrator to fully own our payroll operations. You are a hands-on individual who enjoys digging into details and problem-solving. With your background and past experience, you have the ability to not only identify areas of improvement but also take the initiative to establish and implement those improvements. You will be successful in this role if you like solving puzzles and enjoy assisting employees. This position will support all locations.
- Review and process payroll on a weekly basis for hourly and salaried employees in compliance with state, federal, and local laws, consistent with Heath’s design focus, culture, and values
- Answer employee questions related to paychecks, 401k, and health benefit enrollment
- Lead 401k and ESOP administration and communication
- Reconcile health benefits bills
- Lead all payroll-related audits including 401k, ESOP, health care, and workers compensation
- Keep payroll system up to date employee tracking and reporting
- Design employee and manager training for payroll and time & attendance matters, i.e. mobile app intro and registration for new hires
- Prepare reports for the finance team
- Partner with department managers, IT, and People Team with troubleshooting any system issues, for example, time clocks obstacles
This position is a key member of a small yet dynamic team that interfaces and partners with all areas of the company, and includes a diverse group of internal customers. This position will be exposed to highly confidential HR and payroll items and must be able to exercise considerable tact and discretion.
- College degree or equivalent experience
- Multi-lingual in Vietnamese or Spanish
- 4+ years solid experience processing multi-state payroll including California with a large nonexempt population
- Working knowledge of payroll best practices, 401k administration, and strong knowledge of related federal and state regulations and management
- Excellent customer service skills and a desire to help employees understand the complexities of payroll
- Strong analytical skills necessary for problem-solving and synthesizing large volumes of data
- Strong computer skills including expertise in Excel and Google Sheets (intermediate level such as pivot tables and vlookup)
- Working knowledge of Zenefits and other payroll software
- Strong work ethic and team player
- Ability to deal sensitively with confidential material
- Strong interpersonal (verbal and written) communication skills
- Ability to communicate with various levels of management
- Organizational and prioritizing skills.
- ESOP experience
- CPP preferred
- Union payroll experience helpful
- Experience with audit procedures, tax and accounting practices, and human resources is preferred
$70,000 - $75,000 annually depending on experience
We are committed to your health and well-being. Heath offers a comprehensive benefit package for full-time employees that includes a choice of medical plan, dental, vision and life and works very hard to keep employee costs low for excellent coverage. We do not require an employee contribution for individual premiums, and we pick up a large portion of the costs for dependent coverage. A generous 401(k) match annually. Our Employee Stock Ownership Plan provides an additional retirement benefit linked to the long term performance of our company. We offer a generous time off allocation, paid family leave, and of course a healthy discount on all Heath Ceramics products.
This is a full-time, exempt position with benefits working Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm.
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
Only Bay Area candidates will considered.