unspun is a robotics and digital apparel company building custom jeans for each consumer, on-demand. Our mission is to reduce global carbon emissions by 1% through automated, localized, and intentional manufacturing. By using the iPhone FaceID sensor to create a digital avatar, we can instantly tailor and build each garment to the actual customer, delivering a completely custom product at off-the-rack prices— all while eliminating unsold inventory waste (a $150B/year loss industry-wide).
Recently included in Time's Best Inventions & Fast Company's World Changing Ideas, unspun aims to rapidly transition the trillion-dollar apparel world into one that is more intentional, inclusive, and efficient by focusing on the overlap between sustainability and profitability.
We also happen to make the best-fitting jeans on the planet. 👖
We are looking for a passionate and experienced R&D test engineer to join our team. In this role, you will be an integral part of our hardware development; your primary responsibilities will be to help lead and guide our testing program as we learn about the capabilities and limitations of our evolving prototype 3D loom.
What We’re Building:
We’ve developed a proprietary and patent-pending technology at the crossroads of 3D printing and automated textile manufacturing. By skipping the flat 2D fabric stage, we can additively build custom apparel products from the ground up- straight from yarn to final product. If additive manufacturing, industrial automation, and synchronized systems of thousands of actuators gets you excited, we’d love to talk!
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Apparel and Sewn Goods,
What You’ll Do:
- Support the design, development, testing, and commercialization of our new weaving technology.
- Interface with the team to understand testing and experiment needs, develop test plans, perform or coordinate tests, and analyze and communicate results.
- Coordinate testing and new functionality integration activities with engineers and technicians
- Hands-on work on and operation of our revolutionary new robotic loom
- Debugging and data analysis aimed at improving our machine and providing insights about performance and reliability
- Lead the design of test methodologies and best practices
- Coordinate and plan our first product run
- BS, MS, or PhD in Textile, Industrial, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related fields. As you can see, we’re pretty open to a range of backgrounds and experiences.
- Statistical & data analysis knowledge and experience.
- Experience designing, conducting, and analyzing experiments. We’re in uncharted waters.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. The quality of your work will directly impact future development.
- Experience and comfort working with machinery and robotics. This is not a small project. :)
- A lovable human being with an attitude and style. Even the best job in the world can suck if you don’t enjoy being around your teammates.
- Someone looking for significant equity ownership in a high growth company. We’re a seed-stage startup working towards major inflection points in the next few years.
- Someone that is open to working on-site (following appropriate safety procedures) in San Francisco for testing and debugging. Proof of vaccination is required for all unspun teammates.
- Textile and weaving knowledge and experience
- Project management experience
- Experience working on fast-paced early stage R&D projects
- Automation and robotics experience
- Manufacturing or factory experience
- Familiarity with hardware engineering design and implementation practices
- Familiarity with basic programming concepts
$80k – $120k; 0.03% – 0.1%
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
If you don't meet all of the requirements listed above, but can make up for it with a voracious passion to learn how to do so, we strongly encourage you to apply. We won’t roll our eyes if your socks don’t match. We get it. But then, if you spend those extra few minutes in the morning matching your socks and shirt, we get that too. Our workspaces are sometimes spotless and sometimes chaotic, and we celebrate messy exploration. We work through complex problems but generate simple and elegant solutions. We strive to look at things differently, and never do anything solely because “that’s the way it’s always been done.”
We’re a team of designers and engineers, industry-veterans and serial entrepreneurs, artists and developers. We’re aspiring chess masters and climbers, bakers and photographers. Originally spun out of Stanford and the University of Colorado, we now call downtown San Francisco home, with strong ties to Hong Kong. We are looking for teammates who share our desire to work on ambitious problems and leave the world better than we found it.
unspun is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to being a diverse team that reflects a broad range of background, thought, and experience. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, status as protected veteran, or any other legally protected characteristics. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.
Women, minorities, and people from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.