Ritual Coffee Website
ABOUT US: RITUAL IS CHANGING THE WAY PEOPLE KNOW COFFEE.
In 2005, when corporate coffee dominated American culture, Ritual unknowingly started a fun and exciting revolution that would ultimately help launch the new coffee movement.
We buy 90+% of our beans from producer partners that we have relationships with, setting the highest standard
in the industry. This makes sure we get our hands on the best beans in the world, but more importantly, makes sure our farmers maintain the quality of life they deserve.
Now a bona fide San Francisco original, we’ve also earned our iconic status as one of the best coffee roasting companies in the world. The mission of Ritual Coffee is simple: to make people happy by giving them the best coffee experience they’ve ever had. Ritual roasts in SoMa, and has cafes in San Francisco and Napa.
DIVERSITY AT RITUAL: COFFEE IS FOR EVERYONE
We are passionate about creating safe, welcoming, and inclusive spaces on both sides of the counter and behind the scenes at Ritual. We best achieve our mission (making people happy by giving them the best coffee experience they’ve ever had) when our staff reflects the broad diversity of people who love coffee. Our commitment to inclusion across race, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, physical ability, experience, and perspective is part of what makes Ritual the innovative place that it is.
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Food and Beverage,
The Ritual Coffee Retail Operations Manager is the enthusiastic, positive, organized, and driven leader that ensures our cafes are always running smoothly and our cafe staff feel supported. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about customer experience, quality, and an expert in creating and maintaining functional and healthy operations.
We are looking for that special someone who will oversee operations at our retail cafes to help us scale our business to the next level through improved strategies, systems, and cultural development.
This person is deeply interested in self-growth - asking for constructive feedback and applying it; a natural at providing direct, helpful, and inspiring guidance to all. We are looking for a leader with a clear and compassionate communication style who is great at being objective, and is a natural at connecting with people.
As our Retail Operations Manager, you do not need to know our exact systems before you start, but you need to be a can-do problem solver and committed to the big picture growth and success of the cafe teams, your co-workers across departments, and the company as a whole. Your role is to be willing to and actively jumping in and developing solutions where needed.
People who are not flexible, not ready to lead by example, nor not open to feedback - need not apply. You are meant for this role if you are a collaborative problem solver and a self-starter with a strong interest in - and appreciation for - coffee and people.
Ultimately, we are looking for someone who has a talent for cafe operations, coffee, supporting coworkers, and who is wholeheartedly enthusiastic about growing with our business. If this is you, we can’t wait to meet you!
Develop and implement standards for Ritual’s cafe operations, customer service, customer experience, and offerings across four cafes:
- Build systems and processes to ensure retail cafes always run smoothly in spite of inevitable surprises, and work to solve problems when they arise
- Work with Head of Training to ensure that standards are continually updated in cafes and that the caliber of training is sufficient for cafes to excel
- Periodically assess and continually work to evolve our customer experience, in order to achieve our mission, which is to make people feel good by giving them the best coffee experience they’ve ever had
- Be a role model for Ritual’s customer service standards
- Be an integral part of the planning for future cafes, and oversee and help develop systems for operations when we open new cafes in the future
- Be a key player on the Ritual leadership team.
Work with the leadership team to develop and implement standards for Ritual’s culture, values, quality and customer service.
- Be an active contributor, participant, and collaborator to help achieve Ritual’s day-to-day and long term goals on our leadership team.
- Contribute to the overall culture and business growth using our Culture Guide as a tool for self-reflection and an ongoing commitment to self-growth, the growth in others, and the growth of the company.
- Contribute to the overall culture and business growth by participating in or leading improvement committees and projects when needed.
-Our cafes are profitable and contribute to the sustainability of Ritual
Monitor and analyze sales and profitability of each cafe, be able to cost individual items to maintain established margins, oversee labor cost:
- Manage POS system and oversee cash handling, ensuring that items are entered accurately, updated regularly, that tax is charged appropriately, and that reporting is useful
- Help set ambitious but achievable goals for each cafe and strategies to meet them
- Ensure that managers understand how to manage labor, cost of goods, and controllable expenses to contribute to a sustainable bottom line, while making decisions in keeping with Ritual’s values
- Maintain end of month spreadsheets for cafe managers to ensure timely reporting of tips, cafe sales, and deposits
Cafes are clean, beautiful, and safe, providing both employees and customers with fun, inclusive environments:
- Collaborate with Marketing team on signage needs and to communicate operational changes
- Collaborate with Marketing to envision, plan for, and execute marketing initiatives
- Ensure that café spaces are maintained and updated regularly to prevent them from getting worn down, dated, or falling into disrepair
- Contribute ideas to keeping cafe spaces fun and fresh
- Minimum 2 years experience in a cafe leadership role
- Proven experience building healthy, inclusive, and diverse teams
- An approachable people-person with a high level of emotional intelligence, patience, compassion and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and teaching skills, able to engage and inspire professional growth
- Infectious love of coffee
- Proficiency with Google Drive, spreadsheets and general comfort with use of technology
- Availability: on-call for emergencies, ability to be on site at cafe when urgently needed
- Must be authorized to work in the United States (Required)
The physical requirements listed are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular and consistent attendance and the ability to sit and work with hands and arms for at least eight (8) hours per day and five (5) days per week.
- Physical ability to stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, walk, crawl, push and pull items weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Stand and move throughout the cafe/ office.
- Must be able to interact with customers for at least eight (8) hours per day and five (5) days per week.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentage.
- Have consistent and reliable onsite attendance at the cafe/ office.
- Proficient interpersonal relations and communicative skills in English;
- Interpret and follow a variety of instructions and procedures furnished in English - written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Write routine reports and correspondence.
- Meet daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly and other deadlines consistently.
- Work under pressure with changing, ambiguous priorities.
- Communicate effectively and promptly to clients, vendors, and employees of the organization.
- High level of manual dexterity to adeptly type and use computer equipment.
- Auditory and visual skills – Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to work overtime occasionally at the last minute.
- Occasional Travel may be required.
- Stand stationary in cafe throughout the shift for periods of time (up to 8 hours per day, 5 days per week);
- Continuous physical activity including walking, standing, twisting, sitting, bending, lifting, reaching, kneeling, stooping, crawling, wiping, climbing, pushing and pulling items weighing 50 pounds for distances of up to 20 ft.;
- Ability to perform moderately strenuous physical work and withstand temperatures of 0 degrees Fahrenheit or less and 100 degrees Fahrenheit or more;
- Be able to adeptly use restaurant equipment;
- Perform basic math and fractions to complete recipes;
- Understand and respond to staff and customer requests in a loud environment
Starting salary $62,000-$72,000, depending on experience
Ritual Coffee strongly believes in investing in our people and our culture. We offer great benefits including subsidized medical insurance, dental insurance, and commuter benefits. All employees are eligible for paid time off, paid sick days, holidays (paid at time and a half) and a matching 401k plan.
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
Please upload your resume and a cover letter explaining why you’d be a great Retail Operations Manager. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.