Ritual Coffee Roasters, Inc.
Ritual Coffee Roasters, Inc. Website
Ritual Coffee Roasters is seeking an organized, flexible, and experienced leader to become the Roastery Operations Manager to help us achieve our goals as we continue to grow. This role coordinates and organizes all Roastery operations and maintains communication between the Roastery and all other departments of the company. The Roastery Operations Manager reports to the Founder.
Ritual’s Roastery acts as the hub of our company, both roasting and supplying coffee and other necessary goods to our cafes, wholesale accounts, and e-commerce customers. The pace can move quickly and the emphasis is on team-work and collaboration. The Roastery Operations Manager supervises the day-to-day operations of the Roastery, as well as planning for both Ritual and the Roastery’s future. Effective communication, creative flexibility, and strategic thinking are vital to the success of this role. Each day holds the balance of operational flow and focused leadership.
As our Roastery Operations Manager, you do not need to know our exact systems before you start, but you need to be committed to your own growth and the growth and success of the Roastery team, your co-workers across departments, and the company as a whole.
If you’re a leader who thinks holistically about your team and how to support them to succeed,
thrive on helping people grow, approach management through listening and creating an environment of healthy feedback, this could be an exciting and challenging opportunity for you.
RITUAL IS CHANGING THE WAY PEOPLE KNOW COFFEE. In 2005, when corporate coffee dominated American culture, Ritual unknowingly started a fun and exciting revolution that would ultimately help launch the new coffee movement.
We buy 90+% of our beans from producer partners that we have relationships with, setting the highest standard
in the industry. This makes sure we get our hands on the best beans in the world, but more importantly, makes sure our farmers maintain the quality of life they deserve.
Now a bona fide San Francisco original, we’ve also earned our iconic status as one of the best coffee roasting companies in the world. The mission of Ritual Coffee is simple: to make people happy by giving them the best coffee experience they’ve ever had. Ritual roasts in SoMa, and has cafes in San Francisco and Napa.
DIVERSITY AT RITUAL: COFFEE IS FOR EVERYONE
We are passionate about creating safe, welcoming, and inclusive spaces on both sides of the counter and behind the scenes at Ritual. We best achieve our mission (making people happy by giving them the best coffee experience they’ve ever had) when our staff reflects the broad diversity of people who love coffee. Our commitment to inclusion across race, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, physical ability, experience, and perspective is part of what makes Ritual the innovative place that it is.
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Food and Beverage,
Be a key player on the Ritual leadership team.
- Work with the leadership team to develop and implement standards for Ritual’s culture, values, quality and customer service.
- Be an active contributor, participant, and collaborator to help achieve Ritual’s day-to-day and long term goals on our leadership team.
- Contribute to the overall culture and business growth using our Culture Guide as a tool for self-reflection and an ongoing commitment to self-growth, the growth in others, and the growth of the company.
- Contribute to the overall culture and business growth by participating in or leading improvement committees and projects when needed.
Lead and develop a team of approximately ten Roastery employees, including the Roasting and Production Teams, Inventory and Facilities, and Wholesale and e-Commerce Logistics Manager, and others.
- Hire people who are a great fit for Ritual and anticipate hiring needs of the Roastery.
- Train, observe, and develop staff to be knowledgeable and skilled Roastery employees.
- Supervise Ritual’s roasting, production, inventory and facilities, and orders departments.
- Prepare for giving meaningful, supportive regular feedback.
- Conduct regular supervision meetings and bi-annual reviews to deliver timely, direct, and compassionate feedback, both positive and constructive, and provide tools for employees to grow during their time at Ritual.
Communication throughout the various Roastery departments (Green Coffee, Orders, Sales, Marketing etc) flows smoothly so that we operate as a highly functional team.
- Maintain clear, comprehensive, and effective communication between all members of the Roastery Team as well as between the Roastery and other departments at Ritual.
- Act as lead Project Manager for projects that involve the Roastery.
The Roastery is a model of quality, efficiency and productivity. New systems and procedures are created and followed.
- Forecast volume and logistics for the Roastery, taking into account special projects, holidays and intermittent sales.
- Maintain inventory and orders for all production supplies.
- Work with the Founder to maintain the financial health of the Roastery.
Ritual Roastery/ Headquarters is clean, beautiful and safe, providing both employees and customers with a fun, inclusive environment.
- Build teams, systems, and processes to ensure the Roastery always runs smoothly in spite of inevitable surprises.
- Ensure that Ritual is compliant with all Roastery specific and workplace related certifications and registrations.
The physical requirements listed are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular and consistent attendance and the ability to sit and work with hands and arms for at least eight (8) hours per day and five (5) days per week.
- Physical ability to stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, walk, crawl, push and pull items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Stand and move throughout the production space/ office.
- Ability to keep calm and stay focused in a loud, fast-paced environment
- Must feel comfortable utilizing the dexterity of one’s hands for continuous
periods of time
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentage.
- Have consistent and reliable onsite attendance at the Roastery.
- Proficient interpersonal relations and communicative skills in English;
- Interpret and follow a variety of instructions and procedures furnished in English - written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Write routine reports and correspondence.
- Meet daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly and other deadlines consistently.
- Work under pressure with changing, ambiguous priorities.
- Communicate effectively and promptly to clients, vendors and employees of the organization.
- High level of manual dexterity to adeptly type and use computer equipment.
- Auditory and visual skills – Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to work overtime occasionally at the last minute.
- Stand stationary in Roastery throughout the shift for periods of time (up to 8 hours per day, 5 days per week);
- Continuous physical activity including walking, standing, twisting, sitting, bending, lifting, reaching, kneeling, stooping, crawling, wiping, climbing, pushing and pulling items weighing 50 pounds for distances of up to 20 ft.;
- Ability to perform moderately strenuous physical work and withstand temperatures of 0 degrees Fahrenheit or less and 100 degrees Fahrenheit or more;
- Be able to adeptly use packaging equipment;
- Perform basic math and fractions to complete recipes
- Minimum 2 years experience in a leadership role, preferably operations in a production or manufacturing role
- Minimum 2 years experience in a manufacturing or production role
- Proven experience building healthy, inclusive, and diverse teams or communities
- An approachable people-person with a high level of emotional intelligence, patience, compassion, and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and teaching skills, able to engage and inspire professional growth
- Experience in operations management, preferably in a production or manufacturing space
- Proficiency with Google Drive, spreadsheets, and general comfort with use of technology
- Availability: on-call for emergencies, ability to be on site at Roastery when urgently needed
- Must be authorized to work in the United States (Required)
- Roasting experience - a plus
- Experience with XPS, Shopify and other mailing and e-commerce platforms
- CA Driver’s license - a plus
- Forklift certification - a plus
This is a regular, full-time, salaried exempt position The Roastery Operations Manager is supervised by the Founder.
Ritual Coffee strongly believes in investing in our people and our culture. We offer great benefits including subsidized medical insurance, dental insurance, and commuter benefits. We offer significant professional development and training support and opportunities. All employees are eligible for paid time off, paid sick days, holidays (paid at time and a half) and a matching 401k plan.
This is a regular, full-time, salaried exempt position
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements