Bi-Rite Market Website
The Bi-Rite Family of Businesses has been a San Francisco institution for more than 80 years. Today, the company includes two neighborhood Markets (on 18th Street and Divisadero), a world-renowned Creamery and solar-powered Creamery Truck, and our creative Catering and Commissary Kitchen. We believe food does more than nourish, it brings people together. As a Certified B Corporation, ranked in the top 5% for the world for our community impact, it’s our responsibility to build meaningful relationships with each part of our extended family: the food we make and sell connects our staff, our guests, our producers, and the environment. Named one of Forbes 25 Best Small Companies in America, our team is comprised of entrepreneurs, dreamers, doers, artists, activists, and, of course, food lovers!
If you’re a people person with a passion for heartfelt service, we invite you to join us on our mission of Creating Community Through Food®!
Bi-Rite Management Services, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
*Submit your application and cover letter. We’d love for you to take the time to write a few sentences telling what you hope to learn by becoming a Service Manager and what impact you would like to make.
- Hours: Full-time,
- Industry: Food and Beverage,
We have an immediate opening for a Service Manager. The Service Manager is responsible for creating an inspiring experience for our guests. They give outstanding service by meeting and exceeding our guests’ expectations and providing excellent internal service to the team. Their responsibilities include assisting the General Manager (GM) in the smooth and seamless operations of the business, reaching store goals, upholding product quality and consistency standards, controlling inventory levels and mitigating waste, maintaining equipment and facilities, and safely handling all of our products and equipment. They are part of a cohesive Bi-Rite team that supports the Bi-Rite Missions, 2024 Vision, and Community Values.
- Assists the GM, AGM, and Service Managers with the overall success of the business. Runs the day to day operations, setting shift goals and directives, over-seeing staff call outs, and authorizing breaks. And assists in the achievement of long-term goals, and the implementation of Bi-Rite campaigns and initiatives.
- Ensures the overall store appearance is exceptional by monitoring the entire store throughout the shift, spending most of their shift on the salesfloor; this includes making sure the volume and content of music playing is for guest satisfaction.
- Responsible for opening and closing the store, following Bi-Rite procedures on accurate cash handling and reconciliation, using the Manager on Duty report and closing service notes, along with following closing walk-through procedures, locking up all entrances to the store, and setting the alarm.
- Assists with for staff engagement, growth, and retention. Monitors staff performance through motivating, coaching and performance improvement plans. Participates in reviewing overall staff performance with quarterly feedback conversations (QFCs.)
- Responsible for maintaining organized and accurate inventory levels and completing period end physical counts.
- Collaborates with the General Manager, Assistant General Manager, Department Managers and BRFOB Category Sales Manager to ensure product quality, merchandising, signage, training, and financial performance standards are met.
- Committed to Bi-Rite's mission to Creating Community Through Food® and values of Lead with Love, Pursue with Passion, and Act with Integrity.
- Genuinely finds interest in learning about and sharing Good Food.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver great internal and external service: identifying what others need, getting it for them and taking the extra steps to ensure they have a positive experience.
- Able to work independently; possesses effective prioritization and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to follow directions and procedures, and accurately completes assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Approaches new situations and people with openness, curiosity, and humility; treats others with dignity and respect.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with shifting priorities.
- Energetic, works with a sense of urgency and adapts to the needs of the business.
- Embraces change and proposes more effective ways of working.
- Ability to fulfill the physical requirements of the role with or without accommodations.
- Ability to communicate in a concise, clear, and productive manner; seeks to understand others through active listening.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with others to complete tasks and achieve shared goals.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
- Committed to punctuality and exemplary attendance.
- College degree or equivalent experience.
- 1+ year experience managing a high-volume food retail facility.
- 1+ year experience managing and developing a team.
- Internal applicants must have a succession plan in place for a smooth transition out of their current role.
- Service leader, strong knowledge of retail guest service.
- People management with proven ability to deliver training and coaching effectively.
- Knowledge of food procurement and inventory management.
- Strong communication, presentation, and meeting preparation skills.
- Solid math skills for basic budgeting, and inventory control.
- Proficient in MS Outlook, Word, Excel, ability to learn new technologies.
40% discount on purchases (20% on alcohol); 100% paid medical, dental and vision insurance; Paid Time Off; Holiday Pay; 401(k) retirement plan with employer match (4%) and profit sharing; Paid training, field trips and volunteerism; Career advancement opportunities; A satisfying meal with your shift; Weekly on-site COVID testing; Pre-tax commuter benefits; Employee Assistance Programs; Free 18 Reasons Cooking Classes
Full-time; Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
Cover letter Required
Other Application Requirements
Bi-Rite staff are essential workers exposed to the public. For everyone’s safety, Bi-Rite requires a full COVID vaccination for all new hires. You are required to submit your completed vaccination card during the application process. To validate your proof of vaccination with the State of California, visit http://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov. If you are not currently vaccinated, your application will be put on hold until you can show proof of vaccination. If you are unable to obtain a vaccination, you may request a medical or religious accommodation by emailing [email protected]
Thank you for helping keep yourself and others safe.